Bosch Platinum +4 Spark Plugs - Page 2 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
agoff7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by BeelZibub@Nov 24 2004, 08:48 AM
Bosch Super 4 Spark Plugs
After using them ourselves we are recommending these latest spark plugs from BOSCH THE SUPER 4
A performance breakthrough from Bosch.
Bosch are used to making improvements in design, but this is a revolutionary breakthrough that is totally unique.
The Super-4 outperforms conventional spark plugs in every situation. It uses state-of-the-art 'surface-air-gap' technology, and features four thin ground electrodes with one pointed, silver-plated centre electrode. This enables the ignition spark to choose the best path for reliable ignition, and according to the load placed on the engine.

The advantages:

Increased acceleration
Less chance of misfiring
Better cold start performance
Increased engine efficiency

So it in effect chooses the best electrode to arc from at that moment in time.
[snapback]236645[/snapback]
In regards to choosing the best path...that is the way electricity works. It is not Bosch engineering, maybe Bosch marketing. Electricity will always choose the path of least resistance. That's why people use lightning rods.

Only one electrode ever "fires". The are all connected together so there is no voltage between the electrodes, the one that represents the least resistance will "fire".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by agoff7+Nov 28 2004, 05:14 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(agoff7 &#064; Nov 28 2004, 05:14 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-BeelZibub@Nov 24 2004, 08:48 AM
Bosch Super 4 Spark Plugs*
After using them ourselves we are recommending these latest spark plugs from BOSCH THE SUPER 4
A performance breakthrough from Bosch.
Bosch are used to making improvements in design, but this is a revolutionary breakthrough that is totally unique.
The Super-4 outperforms conventional spark plugs in every situation. It uses state-of-the-art &#39;surface-air-gap&#39; technology, and features four thin ground electrodes with one pointed, silver-plated centre electrode. This enables the ignition spark to choose the best path for reliable ignition, and according to the load placed on the engine.

The advantages:

Increased acceleration
Less chance of misfiring
Better cold start performance
Increased engine efficiency

So it in effect chooses the best electrode to arc from at that moment in time.
[snapback]236645[/snapback]
In regards to choosing the best path...that is the way electricity works. It is not Bosch engineering, maybe Bosch marketing. Electricity will always choose the path of least resistance. That&#39;s why people use lightning rods.

Only one electrode ever "fires". The are all connected together so there is no voltage between the electrodes, the one that represents the least resistance will "fire".
[snapback]238611[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

I am getting off topic here and away from Bosch but I say yup Electricity takes the least resistance path. But it also takes every other path available to it. In fact Electrons take all available paths including my 1000 ohm body path&#33;&#33;
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

hpacc is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
thanks 4 all the replies.

jll- thx 4 the link. i looked around before i posted, but some how i missed it.
very informative.

Question: Do the 4+ pose any harm to the engine?
I just sunk 45 bucks in to em, so if they don&#39;t pose a threat i&#39;ll leave em in for a while :wink

the +4s seem to be fine so far. my acceleration improved drastically. however the plugs that were in the car when i bought it were old, so i&#39;m not sure how much better new +4s are than new regular ol&#39; oem plugs. I am looking forward to trying the oems for comparison.

billb- there&#39;s no self cleaning that i can figure (lol). traveling the path of least reisistance however, (with 4 electrode options) should, in theory, lead to longer life. the longer arc also makes good sense to me. the bosch sales pitch is good. i guess only time will tell.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 08:04 PM

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
hpacc

Excellent replies and inputs. I think most if not all of our members are professionals and they do know what they&#39;re talking about. When one of us (especially me) miss on one diagnostic problem, surely another professional member will get it right and correct it. That is the beauty of the 5 series members. Later

BillB
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by billB@Nov 29 2004, 08:04 PM
hpacc

Excellent replies and inputs. I think most if not all of our members are professionals and they do know what they&#39;re talking about. When one of us (especially me) miss on one diagnostic problem, surely another professional member will get it right and correct it. That is the beauty of the 5 series members. Later

BillB
[snapback]239780[/snapback]
i&#39;ve noticed&#33; this forum is a great find. thanks all, and keep up the good work
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 09:41 AM
5th Gear Member

d3ity will become famous soon enough d3ity will become famous soon enough
The Platinum 4+ have always fouled on me, or caused knocks/timing issues.

Thats in all 3 of my cars, the 525i&#39;s and the 635csi

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/TiddlyPlatypus.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">Put your gamertag here too.</iframe>
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
hmm....

maybe I&#39;ll change these sooner than i thought. what a waste : (
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 08:48 PM

carguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Bosch super 4 differ from platinum plus 4 in the construction of the center electrode. Super 4 has a silver plated center electrode whereas platinum plus 4 uses a sintered platinum rod. Electricity always follows the path of least resistance....they NEVER fire to multiple points. Both plugs use surface air-gap technology. This technology differs from air gap and surface gap technology of old in that the spark can "select" either an air gap or can "glide" over the insulator nose as it sparks. When conductive particles (carbon) exist on the insulator nose they become the path of least resistance. The four electrodes surrounding the center electrode allows the spark to occur wherever the least resistance is found. Should deposits start to build up, they are conductive, and therefore the spark is directed through them and thereby improving the cleaning of the plug. Surface air-gap "glide" is an advantage primarily during cold starts. All spark plugs given correct heat range are self-cleaning once the engine warms up. Surface air-gap technology is not a gimmick as evidence by its use in nearly all 2004 BMW models...ie FGR7DQP. Download the bosch plug catalog from this site for more info.

http://www.bosch.com.au/content/language1/html/2265.htm
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by billB+Nov 24 2004, 04:33 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billB &#064; Nov 24 2004, 04:33 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Beelz
Since you saying So it in effect chooses the best electrode to arc from at that moment in time. * It means also they don&#39;t fire all at once (as some tend to believe)
My question is this: can one conclude based on the above that the +4 has some cleaning (self cleaning???) effect?? i.e. firing from one arc tends to prevent buildups on the idling/off arc in that moment of the cycle? or this is asking too much of a plug??
regards
billb
[snapback]236653[/snapback]
[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-carguy
@Dec 7 2004, 03:48 AM
Bosch super 4 differ from platinum plus 4 in the construction of the center electrode.* Super 4 has a silver plated center electrode whereas platinum plus 4 uses a sintered platinum rod.* Electricity always follows the path of least resistance....they NEVER fire to multiple points.* Both plugs use surface air-gap technology.* This technology differs from air gap and surface gap technology of old in that the spark can "select" either an air gap or can "glide" over the insulator nose as it sparks.* When conductive particles (carbon) exist on the insulator nose they become the path of least resistance.* The four electrodes surrounding the center electrode allows the spark to occur wherever the least resistance is found.* Should deposits start to build up, they are conductive, and therefore the spark is directed through them and thereby improving the cleaning of the plug.* Surface air-gap "glide" is an advantage primarily during cold starts.* All spark plugs given correct heat range are self-cleaning once the engine warms up.* Surface air-gap technology is not a gimmick as evidence by its use in nearly all 2004 BMW models...ie FGR7DQP.* Download the bosch plug catalog from this site for more info.

http://www.bosch.com.au/content/language1/html/2265.htm
[snapback]244845[/snapback]
[/quote]

Carguy you are more than to our forum and it seems someone answered the cleaning effect question above. Wonder if it is a Bosch marketing strategy? or in fact it does reflect reality?
Best regards
billb
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 01:32 PM
n00b

Dana Adude is on a distinguished road
Not Self Cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by billB View Post
Beelz
Since you saying So it in effect chooses the best electrode to arc from at that moment in time. It means also they don&#39;t fire all at once (as some tend to believe)
My question is this: can one conclude based on the above that the +4 has some cleaning (self cleaning???) effect?? i.e. firing from one arc tends to prevent buildups on the idling/off arc in that moment of the cycle? or this is asking too much of a plug??
regards
billb
Merely it has 4 ground posts to toss the single spark at, if one of the posts gets carboned up it will choose the least path of resistance meaning it will always go to the cleaner post, and with 4 to pick from they last longer due to these extra posts carbon build up is created by deposits left by the sparks negative\positive contact points so the 4 post offer more area to toss a spark at. Its One Spark Only, But 4 receptors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)