BMW Werkz banner

528i Alarm Problem

18K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  roey 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, new here...

This morning I woke up and soon after I hear my car alarm going off. I have a '97 528i. I go down to turn it off. I thought maybe the car battery was getting low, as I had the alarm go off randomly once when that had happened, but the car started right up with no problem. I left it on for a few minutes just in case, but this proved not to be the issue.

Trying to lock the doors again with the key-remote-thing results in the car not locking. It opens the trunk/unlocks just fine though. The button on the center console locks/unlocks all the doors no problem, but of course that doesn't turn the alarm on. I thought maybe it's a sensor problem of some sort? The passenger window was left open recently and it rained outside (not my fault!,) though the inside of the car wasn't wet at all so I didn't really think much of it...maybe something got in there? I'm not sure though. Is this even a possible cause?

I came out again about 30 minutes later and the key-remote locked it no problem, though I didn't leave it on very long, since I then tried the thing where you put the key in the door and hold it to unlock/lock and open/close the windows. I first unlocked, then locked. Sure enough it worked! Or so I thought. About 5 seconds later the alarm goes off. So I'm back at step one. That's why I think it's some sort of sensor problem, maybe a worn contact in the door or something?

Right now I just locked all the doors manually with the console button (then the driver door manually from outside.) Which means the alarm isn't on at the moment. Not that I fear it's going to get stolen or anything but this is driving me nuts...

Anyone have a clue?

See less See more
#2 ·
Theres a few things you can try here.
1st thing is you can disconnect the hood pin contact switch located in the engine compartment on the drivers side near the shock tower. Disconnect it and leave it disconnected and see if the problem goes away, if it does then reconnect it and see if the problem returns. Obviously replace the switch if that is the problem.

Second thing you can try is pressing the Lock/arm button 2 times when arming the alarm instead of 1. What this will do is disable the Tilt sensor as well as the interior protection sensor. The interior sensors on these cars are a common failure, and there was an updated sensor available but you would have to check to see if your car has already had it fitted or not.

If all else fails you can take it to your local dealership for diagnosis. Their diagnostic computer stores a counter of every time each alarm sensor has caused the alarm to go off which makes it easy for them to see what sensor is causing the problem.

Good Luck,
DT

#3 ·
Originally posted by Dirty_Tool@Jul 11 2005, 11:28 PM
Theres a few things you can try here.
1st thing is you can disconnect the hood pin contact switch located in the engine compartment on the drivers side near the shock tower. Disconnect it and leave it disconnected and see if the problem goes away, if it does then reconnect it and see if the problem returns. Obviously replace the switch if that is the problem.

Second thing you can try is pressing the Lock/arm button 2 times when arming the alarm instead of 1. What this will do is disable the Tilt sensor as well as the interior protection sensor. The interior sensors on these cars are a common failure, and there was an updated sensor available but you would have to check to see if your car has already had it fitted or not.

If all else fails you can take it to your local dealership for diagnosis. Their diagnostic computer stores a counter of every time each alarm sensor has caused the alarm to go off which makes it easy for them to see what sensor is causing the problem.

Good Luck,
DT
[snapback]361621[/snapback]​
thanks for the advice, I'm going to try the hood pin thing later today. I had no idea the dealer diagnostic was that detailed, I'm hoping if I do have to go that route then it won't be too expensive to fix. Do you know if there is any way to know if pressing the lock button twice has actually worked? As in some sort of indication to differentiate it from the standard lock. Seeing as I've never actually done that before, I'd like to make sure I'm doing it right...

#4 ·
I dont remember if there is a different confirmation or anything with this locking procedure. You may try locking it twice with the key vs using the remote which will give u a more positive feel so that you can be confident that you have done it correctly. Just lock it twice within about 4 seconds and that should do the trick.

DT

#5 ·
I know this post is old but I was just reading it for the alarm problem I'm having and I noticed that the last question wasn't answered here and I thought if anyone else comes back to this post I will help answer it.
Yes there is confirmation when clicking the alarm button the second time from the key fob. You'll notice the little red light under the interior rearview mirror will flash the first time you push the alarm set button, the 2nd time the red light will stay on solid for about 2 seconds, that is confirmation the tilt sensor/interior sensor was disarmed.

#6 ·
Hi I have a 528i sport. the key remote has been messing for a while. locked it the other day, went to unlock wont work. pulled out fuse to stop siren but hazard lights still go for 5 mins, just want to turn the whole thing off. please can someone help. BMW said it might be the key but at £135 I want to be sure.
thanks

roey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.