E46 engine swap - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2019, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
arkken27 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
E46 engine swap

Hi, I got some wierd problem with my E46 and i have a N42 in it an would like to put some better engine in it. It doesn't need to be more powerful but not less. I iam new to the bmw community, so i hoped someone could tell me what engines would fit in an 318i E46 2002 touring. Sorry for my bad writing.

Bmw Noobie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by arkken27; 06-03-2019 at 07:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2019, 02:17 AM
n00b

mustang_john is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkken27 View Post
Hi, I got some wierd problem with my E46 and i have a N42 in it an would like to put some better engine in it. It doesn't need to be more powerful but not less. I iam new to the bmw community, so i hoped someone could tell me what engines would fit in an 318i E46 2002 touring. Sorry for my bad writing.
Hi, you don't say what the problem is with the N42. Tbh moving from a 4 pot to anything else is not that simple. If the engine is goosed then a second hand unit is probably the best option.

Aim low, play Bass!
Old 06-07-2019, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
n00b

(Thread Starter)
The engine has problem starting if the engine is cold. I jump between 680rpm to 715rpm, it eats/ leak oil, not sure which. Get a lot of different engine codes. I can clear the code but if i do a street race/drag race start i will get a new code and they just go to pending but they are never the same one

Bmw Noobie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-20-2019, 04:11 AM
n00b

mustang_john is on a distinguished road
I am leaning towards vacuum leaks and blocked breathers and work gaskets. The intake boots spilt over time and as a result alow unmetered air into the intake,

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=13_0949

this will throw up quite a few codes. Take the inlet boot off and inspect it for any splits or cracks that could let air in.
Check to see if the valve cover gasket is leaking,

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_3179

it will be as the rubber gasket will have gone hard and brittle and will almost certainly be running dow the side of the engine.
Also, check the CCV system, if it's blocked or failed, you will get excess crank case pressure build up making the oil find the easiest way out to relieve the pressure.
Seeing as you will have the valve cover off, change the plugs at the same time.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_3180

Good luck.

Aim low, play Bass!
Old 06-20-2019, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
n00b

(Thread Starter)
thank you for the tips, I will reply again if it was that or not.

Bmw Noobie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
User Tag List