cranking but wont start ,HELP PLEASE - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Astonone is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation cranking but wont start ,HELP PLEASE

I bought a 316 ti compact and drove it home where I washed the engine bay taking care not to spray water into the ECU and relay/electrical box area in the right side of the engine bay ,leaving it a hour or 2 before trying to start it, when I did it seemed to fire very briefly only a slight indication that it did and then nothing .it cranked but no firing, I left it in the sun and tried again later but again nothing.
I went on google and checked the fuse, the relay and the fuel pump as I have another 318i so swapped out the pump and relay to be sure they were ok and they are, there seems to be no power getting to the pump ,every other function seems fine the lights, wipers, dash lights dont shown any alarm codes as it cranking, EML come up briefly but it doesn't have a picture of an engine just the letters EML, but it goes out as the car is cranking.
I am at my wit's end as feel an idiot having caused the problem and worse is that I had bought the car for a good friend as her car expired and now it's not useable and she can't get to work.
What on earth could it be ?????????
The other 318i has the earlier motor from the E36 (which I also have )

Please, can I get some advice as the car is blocking my other cars so have no usable car at present, I have a voltmeter but am not an expert in using it .
thank
marcus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 06:36 PM
n00b

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
beefrank is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonone View Post
I left it in the sun and tried again later but again nothing...
Please, can I get some advice as the car is blocking my other cars so have no usable car at present, I have a voltmeter but am not an expert in using it .
thank
marcus
Did you try using a hair dryer around the electronic parts or check your battery? Check the battery using the voltmeter. Try jumping the car using a fully charged battery or another idling car. Nowadays, I keep my engines clean by using a rag and Simple Green. Too many electronics under the hood to use a hose like the 'shade tree mechanic' days when you covered the distributor cap with a plastic bag and sprayed away. Good luck.

Last edited by beefrank; 02-06-2019 at 06:46 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
n00b

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Astonone is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the advice, Yes I have tried disconnecting the battery and jumping the car, but also chared the battery up overnight, still nothing, I've bought a scanner "BMW INPA K+DCAN With FT232RL Chip BMW SCANNER" is was recommended by the "50's kid" youtube BMW mechanic who went through its features, Once it arrived I will post the result. I'm a little disappointed I have only got one reply to 3 questions as was hoping for more help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)