Adding Switches - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
MRD
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
MRD is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Adding Switches

I love to add accessories but finding a good place for a switch in my 2011 E93 is a challenge. I found a switch panel that is used for stock accessories but it is not good for my needs. I bought the correct bezel and the switches factory switches, then gutted the switch so I could use them to operate my own needs. I designed a new electronics board, added miniature on off buttons, a resistor and tiny LED lights to let me see through the stock location that the switch is off or on.

I then ran each switch to a very small relay board (6 small relays) that my switches power, then from there over to a regular size relay/fuse box I made up. This way, the small board I made can activate higher power relays for accessories. I am mounting the small relays under the steering wheel lower panel, then feed the small gauge wires out to my engine compartment where I will mount the larger relay box.

The relays all have diodes to prevent problems with the canbus system. I can now run up to 40 amps per relay to power up accessories and if anything takes more I can add a second high power relay if need be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
MRD
n00b

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
MRD is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Well I got the system installed this last weekend and happy to say it works great. I now have 6 accessory switches that use the stock buttons below the radio. The diode color matches the orange color of my dash lights perfectly and there is no delay between pushing the button and powering the accessory lines.

My first project is to install my front vision camera behind the lower grill so I can see curbs. I have a Garmin GPS that that has the wireless rear view camera but since I installed a backup camera I can now use this for the front camera.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 04:59 PM
n00b

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bluestratos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRD View Post
Well I got the system installed this last weekend and happy to say it works great. I now have 6 accessory switches that use the stock buttons below the radio. The diode color matches the orange color of my dash lights perfectly and there is no delay between pushing the button and powering the accessory lines.

My first project is to install my front vision camera behind the lower grill so I can see curbs. I have a Garmin GPS that that has the wireless rear view camera but since I installed a backup camera I can now use this for the front camera.
I installed my front vision camera last weekend and it works great. I have dedicated one of my spare switches (6 in total) to run the power for the camera. When parking I hit the switch and can watch to be sure how close to obstacles. I can now park my Bimmer within 2 inches of my garage door to save space in my driveway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)