Disabling/bypassing The Ews - Page 2 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile
would only crank over with the starter cables... nothing worked with the key
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 02:43 PM

FruityOne is an unknown quantity at this point
easiest solution...CALL up turner motorsports and have them burn you a custom chip...thats what i did for my motor swap

edit: didnt really read into detail in the thread...just glanced thru and saw something about a motor swap and ews
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 06:11 PM
WOT in Reverse

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Quote:
Originally posted by Fruityone@Feb 21 2005, 02:43 PM
easiest solution...CALL up turner motorsports and have them burn you a custom chip...thats what i did for my motor swap
[snapback]296435[/snapback]
mmmm, that's weird. I contacted Turner not too long ago with such a request and they wouldn't help me. I told them what I had, and wanted custom software burnt, and they said they had nothing available.

No matter, I went to Active Autowerke, and they have been very helpful. Their software designer is relentless with every detail, and I think I'm about to have what I want.

Just seems wierd that they would burn software for you fruity, but wouldn't for me...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

wctouring7 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Jllphan...thanks for the info, I will give it a try tomorrow.

Jrhaile...the 95 came with an M42 (odb1) and the M44 was from a 98 (odb2) the M44 would not "plug" into the 95 harness. I used the engine harness and ecu from the 98 and basically turned the car into an odb2 car. I would have rather stayed with the odb1 setup but the M44 has more sensors than a M42 and I think I took the easiest route....I hope!
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 11:59 PM

jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile
well the easiest route you did not take :P

I had a similiar swap. ODB2 engine with ODB1 wiring harness. I basically stripped down the block all the way, used all parts pretty much from the 95 engine (odb1) and I was golden. EWS and all wiring was in place. Had to make a few mods to the odb2 engine, but nothing major or really hard.

So Joey, you should IM me or PM me. I have something very interesting about my car to share with you. I did get it back and it's fine. But I think this whole mess could have been avoided.
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I am curious to what mods you had to do? Obviously the intake is the biggest difference...seeing that the M44 has 3 throttle position sensors and runs the fuel press regulator down on the frame as opposed to on the rail. If I run into problems after its running, I could go back to odb1 seeing that I have the old engine and harness laying here...as long as it it do-able. :wink
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 11:02 AM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Yeah, it's do-able. And moving the fuel press. reg. isn't a big deal. Had to do it on my swap too. Sorry we hijacked your thread. Hopefully it was informative, that's why I let it go on.

jrhaile: PMed ya.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 12:45 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
hmm im gonna try this with my other DME, the one for my motor, hehe

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
No biggie on the thread hijack....the more info the better!
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 12:36 PM

CellFreedom is an unknown quantity at this point
will cutting the lt green wire work on a 1994 318i?
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 03:14 PM
2nd Gear Member

e36surge is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to e36surge Send a message via MSN to e36surge
hey jrhalie please post what you found out or PM me as I have been encountering similar none start issues. I've changed everything from starter to starter relay to wires, to more relays only to find out it was the EWS as well. I will be clipping that wire but if you have any insight it would be very much appreciated. Thanks... and I feel your pain

cheers

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

1979 320is RiP
1994 318is Sold
1995 325is Sold
1995 530i Sold
2004 M3
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 05:42 PM

CellFreedom is an unknown quantity at this point
I just snipped #7 and remote start still cuts off
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 08:55 AM
n00b

joe01952 is on a distinguished road
Will this work to bypass the key antenna?

Hi

I have a 96 328is, the tumbler has been locked shut for awhile I have been putting the key in the tumbler then starting it using a screwdriver in switch part I separated from the tumbler, thing is now I lost my only key, can I bypass the antenna thing with this or do I need to order a key? If I can use this solution if so, can someone explain where and what wire I cut?

Thanks in Advance
Joe
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 09:51 AM
n00b

dolindo is on a distinguished road
thanks for all the information guys

post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 06:15 PM
n00b

kratos2014 is on a distinguished road
Smile BMW 318i 1996

Hi i have a problem ive totalled lost my car keys and im trying to find a cheaper way of getting my car started without having to replace keys?? Is there a way that the EWS System can be bypassed and a push button start to replace having to get a new set of keys????Any ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)