BMW Werkz banner

Oil Pan

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Speedy-325is 
#1 ·
Good afternoon, I have a hairline crack on my oil pan. I have an 89' Cabrio, do I have to take the engine out of the car or can I replace it as is?. If anyone has done this please give me some pointers.
Thank you...

#2 ·
i would not do it myself.... but id do almost anything else..

its a PAIN in the ass job. PAIN.

#3 ·
It is a pain - certainly don't need to pull the engine BUT you need to loosen the cross member for the front suspension, take off lots of bolts and WORSE, put the new pan in place and reassemble the oil pump by reaching over the edge - I have large hands and this was a royal PITA. Still, I probably wouldn't pay to have it done, though I do my own wheel bearings which is also a PITA.

#4 ·
id say do it yourself,,its a good learning experiance,,get a bently manual,,may take some grunting and knuckle bustin but in the end yell be proud to have done it yourself

#6 ·
I had the same problem except i hit the oil pan on a bump so it was a big crack, so i drained the panand went and bought some jb weld clean off the oil pan with brake cleaner so there wouldnt be any oil where i was gonna put the jb weld at then applied the jb weld and let it sit a little more than overnight and filled it back with oil and it hasn't leaked since and its been almost 2 years now

#7 ·
Originally posted by flipsgonetopless@Oct 26 2004, 02:55 PM
Well I thank you for your advice, I read on the proceedures on how to however I did replace the Engine once and the Transmission four times so anything else seems liek a cake walk. Again I thank you... :cheers
[snapback]218947[/snapback]​
If you haven't done this prcedure yet, you may want to use the following as another source of reference:

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1763

#10 ·
I just replaced mine 2 days ago. Took a total of 2 hours. I unbolted the motor mounts jacked the engine up an put blocks under the Motomounts. Un bulted the pan and droped it down to access the oil pump bolts then unbolted the oil pump and out she cam. Just revers the porcedure to put it back on. the only tricky part is to make sure the oil pump drive rod is properly installed in the drive gear and the pump or your oil pump wont work. You cant really see it you just kind of have to feel for it but it isnt that hard. Good luck.

#11 ·
Originally posted by e30325ic@Nov 29 2004, 05:22 PM
I just replaced mine 2 days ago. Took a total of 2 hours. I unbolted the motor mounts jacked the engine up an put blocks under the Motomounts. Un bulted the pan and droped it down to access the oil pump bolts then unbolted the oil pump and out she cam. Just revers the porcedure to put it back on. the only tricky part is to make sure the oil pump drive rod is properly installed in the drive gear and the pump or your oil pump wont work. You cant really see it you just kind of have to feel for it but it isnt that hard. Good luck.
[snapback]239645[/snapback]​

that is all! :clap2 :welcome :cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.