BMW Werkz banner

Z4 Run Flat Tires or Not Run Flat Tires

5K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  STIHLBOLTS 
#1 ·
Hi

I am getting pretty close to needing a set of tires and have been surfing the web for any real answers to the titles question. My stock Run Flat's are not the most comfortable running tires and from what I have read so far it seems that everyone is in agreement that the Bridgestone's are not the best riding tire that seems to be what everyone goes back too. :conf

Is there anything new that has come out recently, does anyone have any feed back to a non-run flat tire that gives good summer/rain performance? We don't get much snow down south and if we did I won't be in it with the Z4 anyway. :D

Look for some help to make up my mind. Money wise I am leaning for a non-run flat, Michelin's PS2.

Also I know this might have been rehashed before so please excuse me if this is a duplicate somewhere. :)

#2 ·
I am against runflats in general. More expensive, and supposedly cannot be repaired if you do get a flat. They also give you a harsher rise without any benefit in driving dynamics.

I was pretty happy with the non runflat Bridgestone Potenzas on my E46. I've also had good experiences with the Michelins on my E36. I am running on Kumho Ecsta ASX on both at the moment, mostly to save some cash -- good tire, but not as sticky as either of the two mentioned above.

#3 ·
I have been a Michelin man when it comes to my truck tires for the past ten years, I have always had great service. However until this little car most of my experience has been with larger Camaro and Fire bird cars that I owned and I ran either Dunlop or General tires because they were cheap back then. Street Muscle Car's on a budget. :D

The Tire Rack had a write up on one guy who purchased General UHP tires and he seemed pretty happy with them. $120.00 range it seems to be bargain basement pricing. I don't have to go that cheap, I want the best possible ride with out cutting out too much performance. Wife wants to take some trips this fall, it would be nice to come back with out having to go straight to the chiropractor! :headsmash

#5 ·
Checking out General's web site now. I am going to check with my local dealer to see if he has access. He is independent and has gotten all my odd ball requests in the past and his pricing has been pretty close to the on line houses. That is something I don't think I will ever do is buy a tire on line. I still like doing business with a local shop and knowing I have them to stand behind their workmanship. :)

#7 ·
Thanks, I have been looking at those too. All of them are just very pricey. Over $200 per tire plus the mounting and balance comes to a $1000.00 for a set of small tires. :( I can get big tires for my truck cheaper. :D We are just about to put the car away and the tread is still pretty good at 31k miles. I might wait until spring to put a new set on. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.