Z4 problems: electric window, intermittent wipers. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Z3 / Z4 /ZM BMW Z3 Forum & BMW Z4 Forum - Covers all the past and present Z3/Z4 vehicles including: BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si, BMW Z4 Roadster 3.0i, Z4 Roadster 3.0si, and the ZM Coupe and Roadster (BMW Z4 Forum, BMW Z3 Forum, BMW ZM Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 02:01 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
xdcam is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Z4 problems: electric window, intermittent wipers.

Z4 problems: electric window, intermittent wipers.

Just bought used 2003 3 litre Z4. Top of range model with sat nav etc.

After just a few days a few problems have come about.

First is (this was not working from the start) the intermittent windscreen wiper function does not work using the dial on the steering column lever. My old 5 series stopped working too; so guess it is a common fault. Is this cheap/easy to fix if I take it to BMW dealer?

Second (this was kind of not working, but is not totally screwed) issue is the drivers electric window. To start with when opening/closing it was very slow and sounded like there is gravel/grit in the runners, sounds crunchy and metallic; horrible. I had to flick switch up/down very fast for 5 minutes to get window to close. Today I opened window, the window stopped half way, but I heard the motor and mechanism continue to go down, without taking the window with it. It has separated and window is now stuck half way. Is this cheap/easy to fix if I take it to BMW dealer?

Finally, a little disconcerting, 3 times now when I turn ignition key into position 2 I have heard a moderately loud 'pop' sound from inside the dash above the steering wheel, sounds like a fuse popping/blowing. Is this normal Z4 behavior?

I'm in the UK.

Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 12:26 AM
5th Gear Member

darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
wipers... either the switch itself or the wiper control module

windows. it's the window regulator gone bad

popping noise is certainly not normal if it occurs only occasionally.

a dealer is not necessarily the best place to go. i have seen many flaws in dealer work and i stay away from them because i get better service in smaller shops for up to 70% less price-wise. there are good independent shops, you know... just have to look around some ;-)
#3 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 06:44 AM
n00b

juliet is on a distinguished road
I have had this happen TWICE in the past two years . The first time BMW corrected for nothing but this time I have had to pay. They say they have not heard ofthis fault before but I know there is a USA company selling BMW Z4 window mechanisms 'made with materials that are less brittle' so there must be aninherrent fault. Any other BMW owners experienced the same problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > Z3 / Z4 /ZM