z4 m roadster clutch a bit clunky - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Z3 / Z4 /ZM BMW Z3 Forum & BMW Z4 Forum - Covers all the past and present Z3/Z4 vehicles including: BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si, BMW Z4 Roadster 3.0i, Z4 Roadster 3.0si, and the ZM Coupe and Roadster (BMW Z4 Forum, BMW Z3 Forum, BMW ZM Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 12:07 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ricSF is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
z4 m roadster clutch a bit clunky

just bought a 2006 z4m. love it, but a bit paranoid as one might be with a new used car with only 11000 miles.

second gear goes in with some force, like there is some resstance. as it is under warranty took it in to two different dealerships both telling me to use the clutch before i shift, really helpful.

truth is, it does not clunk every time, but once in a while.

my question is, is this normal and should i relax or still pester the dealer? i read that the clutch is heavy duty but is this normal?

thanks for the feedack.

Ric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 12:15 AM
Mr. Clean

BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
Every BMW manual I have ever driven is notchy going from 1st to 2nd. What kind of cars did you drive/own before the Z4M?
#3 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 12:26 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
ah yes, moment of embarassment. i drove a paddle shifting lexus is350 until two weeks ago. too soft and soulless car. fast but too smooth for any fun

r
#4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 12:30 AM
Mr. Clean

Garage
If it was an IS250 I would say it would be embarrassing but the 3IS50 is okay. Like I said before, what you're describing to me sounds pretty normal in terms of shifter feel. I thought it was weird at first as well.

I've driven:
2007 535xiT
2008 Z4M
2006 Z4 3.0si
2003 M3

Each of the aforementioned cars had the same kind of shifter feel although the ///M variants were a little more focused.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 12:33 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
cool

thanks man, i think i'll relax a bit more.

ric
#6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Mr. Clean

Garage
No problem, if you're anything like me you'll get used to it.
#7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 02:56 AM
n00b

CA2006Z4M is on a distinguished road
HI,
I also recently purchased a 2006 Z4 M roadster with 30K miles on it, and I am also very nervous about the clutch/transmission sounds I am getting: engagement/disengagement of the clutch between 1 and 2nd, yields a lot of unpleasant rattles/ clunks.I can hear it mostly when I have the top up.

Also, when the car is turning off, I get a similar sounds and rattles.
I took it to a dealership in the bay area which assured me that this was normal for the Z4 Ms. I had an 06 3.0si for 3yrs before that and I drove many manual BMWs and this is not standard behavior for them.
Any other Z4 M owners that are experiencing similar symptoms? Is this really normal for this transmission?

Georges.
#8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 07:09 PM
1st Gear Member

coolvegase34 is an unknown quantity at this point
It's a sportscar, not a cruiser
#9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 01:11 AM
n00b

Not really looking for patronizing statements;if you have an M thanks for your input; otherwise spare me the sound bites about what a sports car is.
#10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 02:13 AM
A NEW DAY RISES...

RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
I have a rather unique ///M, and one with a very heavy duty clutch - a Dinan Stage 3 sports clutch, but in my experience I have not had any of the rattles or unpleasant sounds you mention. As to sticking from first to second gear, I find my car requires precision and sticks a bit from 2nd to 3rd gears, and despite the short shift kit in it, I believe the bearings are becoming slightly worn in the gearbox, causing this. I say go to a dealer with a good reputation (perhaps Werkzians from near you can recommend some)? And STAY ON THEM - don't let the dealer blow you off - demand an adequAte recommendation - you are the customer! This doesnt sound ok to me that ugly sounds are coming out. Good luck. I hope you get to really enjoy the new ///M Roadster - it's a wonderful car!

2008 ///M5 with Eisenmann race exhaust "Athena"
2013 VOLKSWAGEN Tiguan 2L Turbo
RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
RIP 2002 Z3 Roadster 2.5i - VF Supercharged, 5-speed, Brembos etc.
Turkey ///M Car Fleet Commander
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
#11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 12:14 AM
n00b

RoadsterMadness: thanks for the advice; I will try another dealer here in the bay area;
best,
g.
#12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 04:07 PM
n00b

jehsautosalon is on a distinguished road
clutch problem less than 49,000m

I got my BMW Z4 M Roadster last may with 46,167m with CPO. Driving my car now i felt that the Clutch was getting heavy. I have 49,895m and still under warranty with CPO. Is clutch wear not covered with BMW CPO warranty? I don't or burn out tires. I felt how heavy my clucth was when I drive it to Houston Texas city traffic. Pls correct me if I am wrong. I just wanna know the truth..
#13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 04:15 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
could be covered

take it in.

if you have CPO, they should sort you out nicely.

i ended up taking my car to four dealers in the SF Bay Area. i spent a lot of time with the guys in Concord, and i got the thumbs up that it is normal.

it is a beast of a car, and beasts make noise. but if you are worried, take it in. and have a go at it with the techs.

like others stated, you have to work the clutch carefully. this car is not one to give you a lot of room in shifting. it has to be precise, and you get there with miles.

though you can also see threads where the dealers change the entire transmission, so there must be something to it.

good luck

r
#14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 08:28 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Small update July 26th 2010.

After much debate, i had the CDV delete done, oil change, and transmission oil replaced. though it is supposed to be a lifetime fill, had it done anyway. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!! I highly recommend doing this if you are finding the clutch a bit clunky like i had. While yes, you can work with the 1-2 shift by timing it properly and using the left side shift, the CDV delete made it work like every other 6 speed on the market. cost is negligible but you get a brand new car driving experience out of the deal.

the roadster is a whole new level of crazy.

Look into it, and know what you are about to do. Best decision i've made in the modding of the car.
#15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 08:58 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Nice to know!

BMW

Sig by zeaq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > Z3 / Z4 /ZM