Z3 Woofer Replacement Steps - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Z3 / Z4 /ZM BMW Z3 Forum & BMW Z4 Forum - Covers all the past and present Z3/Z4 vehicles including: BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si, BMW Z4 Roadster 3.0i, Z4 Roadster 3.0si, and the ZM Coupe and Roadster (BMW Z4 Forum, BMW Z3 Forum, BMW ZM Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 06:23 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2markd is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Z3 Woofer Replacement Steps

Anyone got the secret steps to removing the rear metal plate and padded cover on top of the 02 Z3 woofer compartment? All found screws removed but something still holding rear plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 06:45 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

Found it here. ///MZ3.Net - H&K Sub Dissected
What looks like hinges on the rear of the padded cover are actually clips that will release with a good upward jerk like the web link above stated. It was the same for my 02 Z3. THANKS SCOTT!
#3 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 11:43 AM
A NEW DAY RISES...

RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
Mine was done professionally via a custom subwoofer box being built and placed between the rollover protection bars. It is an 8" Kicker sub powered by a separate 700 watt Alpine power amp located in the trunk. It does encroach slightly into the top compartment (so you have to push the window back as you put the top down). I know MiguelACA and I have had threads and exchanges on this issues before, and there are some good companies out there that are able to put a nice aftermarket woofer in without getting really into the top's space, thus allowing the boot to be put on, etc. Here is a picture. Once one right, it sounds great!

By gordonjagman at 2009-06-08

Total auidio package is:

Alpine head unit (CDA-9833) and Alpine "S" speakers all around. Custom built subwoofer box between the rollover protection bars housing an 8" Kicker sub powered by an Alpine M350 -700 watts x 1 Mono Power Amp in the trunk - connected by I-Link to the head unit for volume and equalization control. Active crossover limiters on both power amp and head unit. Time correction and 5 band vertical and horizontal EQ. Alpine i-Pod link installed 8/2007 via glovebox connection with full i-Pod control from Alpine head unit.

2008 ///M5 with Eisenmann race exhaust "Athena"
2013 VOLKSWAGEN Tiguan 2L Turbo
RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
RIP 2002 Z3 Roadster 2.5i - VF Supercharged, 5-speed, Brembos etc.
Turkey ///M Car Fleet Commander
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
#4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 04:35 PM
n00b

tgentry is on a distinguished road
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread with my first post here, but I just got a Z3 and the factory sub is blown. RoadsterMadness mentioned above that there were some good companies that do an aftermarket sub enclosure for the Z3....can someone point me in the right direction with a name or a link? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, I only see two threads that come up on the Z3 board here with a search for "subwoofer".

Thanks,
Tom
#5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 07:47 PM
A NEW DAY RISES...

RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
No problem at all - the only dead thread is a locked thread! Where do you live? Then maybe we can fine tune some recommendations...

Standing by...

RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
#6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 09:23 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
2markd here. I did find a great simple replacement for the sub woofer and was able to keep the same plastic casing and not modify any factory trim or HW. I put in a new audio pipe 6 inch woofer and it sounds great. Give me a day and i will forward all the tips and pictures to make this $30 repair.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:19 PM
n00b

RoadsterMadness - I'm near Harrisburg, PA. Was hoping you had an online source - I tried two local shops. One wanted to put a big box in the trunk, but I already tried that and there is no way to get good sound out of the trunk without rattling the crap out of the rest of the vehicle and getting into an endless cycle of dynamatting & rattle patrol, nevermind the fact that I don't want to lose trunk space. The other shop gave me an "estimate" of $1100 to build a custom fiberglass enclosure in between the seats for an 8" sub.

2markd - Would definitely like to see what you've done.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:56 PM
A NEW DAY RISES...

I've seen work on Z3's & Z3M's where the amps and subs go under the floor/rug of the trunk with minimal space loss. Also, Bav Auto has a sub for the trunk that may work. My custom box & set up was expensive (no breakdown as I did the whe system - but that $1100 figure was not out of bounds at all as was much more) and custom made in NYC specialty shop. Did you look at Miguel AcA's thread on his sub mods for his Z3 here on Werkz?

TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
#9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 09:49 AM
n00b

2markd, I'd really like to see what you've done....

RoadsterMadness - I found pics of your install but the only pics of MiguelACA's I could find showed a trunk-installed setup. I'm definitely opposed to the idea of putting the sub in the trunk. Like I said, I tried it (with a single 10" in a sealed box I had leftover from another car) and the trunk is just too well sealed. I found pictures of someone who had used a 6" hole-saw to cut holes in the rear deck to allow sound into the cabin, but I'm not keen on that either.

I also thought about building an enclosure and putting it in the passenger footwell (I could do that myself), but I really don't want to muck up the interior and cramp passengers.

Googling "bmw z3 subwoofer" turned up two other options - this: www.integralaudio.com/bmw/bmw-z3.html and this: bavariansoundwerks.com/product/523/196/Z3-Subwoofer/ (I assume no relation to Bimmerwerks?). The BSW sub looks an awful lot like the Integral Audio 8" one.

Does anyone here have any experience with these? I'm leaning towards the 8", it's certainly cheaper than the $1100 I was quoted.

RoadsterMadness, do you have any other pictures of your setup? Any way you could give me a better idea of what you paid?
#10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 05:43 PM
A NEW DAY RISES...

Sorry - I've been slammed at werk. I know when I researched it a few years back I found some specific vendors dedicated to subs for the Z3. They were 8" and fit in a pre-fab kit between the seats/rollover protection bars. They were jar about flush and allowed the boot to be put on as designed. The only thing I didn't like about mine is the shop put my custom box in and you have to clear it from getting in the way of the top going down and the boot cannot fit on anymore. There is an extra 4-5 inches so this wasn't necessary and bugs me for what I paid - lots more than double your quote - but I also changed all the speakers out, had a 700 watt power amp put into the trunk (not much space lost, but not as nice as some of those below the floor units I mentioned before). I also of course did a new nice head unit which they really set up for me - crossover, time correction, I-link to control the sub directly, major EQ, etc. It was a real challenge as there is really very little space to work with and I too did not wanna lose my trunk. I know the tech who built it (under the guidance of the well known guy who owns the shop, who planned it all after I told him what I wanted.

Boy am I glad the one I build for the M3 (Harmon-Kardon) in there as first owner took out the wall of subs and flip out screen, DVD, etc. to sell separately. I admit I'm looking forward to having waay more space to work with...

TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
#11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 06:32 PM
A NEW DAY RISES...

Check this site out - I'd look at the better model since for $200 more, I'd definitely get the better one....

BMW Z3 - BMW

This was the site I was thinking of - let me know what you think.

TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
#12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 10:30 AM
n00b

RoadsterMadness you must be slammed at work, that's the same link I posted above, LOL. I'm definitely leaning that way, but am still researching options. Will let you know what I end up with. Might be a while, I'm picky and slooowwwww to make decisions.

Thanks for the help. BTW, what kind of woofer is that in your setup?
#13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 02:20 PM
A NEW DAY RISES...

Kicker 8" CVR (all the rest is Alpine but they only make a 10" and 8" is the biggest Alpine makes!). I initially had a Kicker Solo-Baric but it was defective and blew after only a few days and they had stopped making it in a round shape (now square). I like the CVR but at really high volume it will smack a bit. The reviews on it were great - but it is probably ideal as part of a package of 2 or 3. Maybe you want to look into a square shape while you have the option?

TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
#14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 10:22 AM
n00b

lottinala is on a distinguished road
my son just put a system in his Z3 and he did the trunk woofer but i will say your right tgentry about the trunk shaking. but he did go with a 10 inch mephis mojo compition sub so to me the whole car vibrates. one thing i will say the way they built the box it did leave him some room to put his football stuff but hes 15 so i had to direct him into leaving a little room in there he wanted to take up the whole trunk.
#15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 11:31 AM
A NEW DAY RISES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadsterMadness View Post
Kicker 8" CVR (all the rest is Alpine but they only make a 10" and 8" is the biggest Alpine makes!).
Of course what I MEANT to say above was that the SMALLEST size sub Alpine made at the time was 10" and I needed an 8" to fit and Kicker went as small as 8". Again, sure y'all got the idea but sounded silly :rolleyes

TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > Z3 / Z4 /ZM