Z3 heated seats - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Z3 / Z4 /ZM BMW Z3 Forum & BMW Z4 Forum - Covers all the past and present Z3/Z4 vehicles including: BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si, BMW Z4 Roadster 3.0i, Z4 Roadster 3.0si, and the ZM Coupe and Roadster (BMW Z4 Forum, BMW Z3 Forum, BMW ZM Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 06:20 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mytywyte is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Z3 heated seats

My 1996 Z3 has heated seats and I love them. Last week, however, they stopped working--first the driver's seat and then the passenger's. Now when I push the button it lights up, but about 25 seconds later the light goes back out. I do it again and again and the heaters just won't stay on. Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Where are you located? Is it still cold?
I would have to say that heated seats are temperature controlled & that they might be shutting off after 25 seconds....... because it's kinda warm in May.......

#3 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 08:54 PM
n00b

mytywyte is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
That might be it, but I don't think so

I don't think that's it. Is there anything else that might make them shut off? They've been broken since last winter, and they weren't working when it was COLD outside. Any other suggestions?
Also, the stupid glovebox won't open now. I've turned the key both ways and pulled and shaken it, but I don't want to break an expensive glove box door or the dash. The handle pulls out like it's supposed to, but nothing happens.
I love BMW's, but sometimes the little things drive me crazy. It's like they're not very well made in some ways. I hated my Honda, and of course it NEVER drove like a BMW, but it never had little crap always breaking.
You sure know a lot about BMW's. How did you get so good about them?
#4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 09:00 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Sometimes the heated grid in the seats get fatigued. So maybe it's a safety precaution to prevent a short. In that event, a new grid may be needed.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 09:20 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytywyte View Post
I don't think that's it. Is there anything else that might make them shut off? They've been broken since last winter, and they weren't working when it was COLD outside. Any other suggestions?
Also, the stupid glovebox won't open now. I've turned the key both ways and pulled and shaken it, but I don't want to break an expensive glove box door or the dash. The handle pulls out like it's supposed to, but nothing happens.
I love BMW's, but sometimes the little things drive me crazy. It's like they're not very well made in some ways. I hated my Honda, and of course it NEVER drove like a BMW, but it never had little crap always breaking.
You sure know a lot about BMW's. How did you get so good about them?
Oh......you stated originally, that they stop working last week......if they have been broken since last winter, then I would have to agree with witeshark.....
the heat grids are probabaly worn.......

johnny,

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 05-16-2009 at 09:37 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

Garage
also found these links......they might be a help.....
///MZ3.Net - Stopping Glovebox Rattles

Z3 - Car Forums and Automotive Chat

#7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 07:26 PM
n00b

LRod is on a distinguished road
Ya know, heated seats are kind of an old-man conveinence, but I really dig mine too. I really appreciate them in winter, when I'm driving top-down, so I can keep my underside warm. This is certainly an option worth paying for, and to repair as well. Good luck there.

------------------
My two favorite accessories
BMW Z3 windscreen / windblocker
BMW Z3 Shift Knobs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > Z3 / Z4 /ZM