Possible Z3 Purchase - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Z3 / Z4 /ZM BMW Z3 Forum & BMW Z4 Forum - Covers all the past and present Z3/Z4 vehicles including: BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si, BMW Z4 Roadster 3.0i, Z4 Roadster 3.0si, and the ZM Coupe and Roadster (BMW Z4 Forum, BMW Z3 Forum, BMW ZM Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 08:19 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cainer is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Possible Z3 Purchase

Here's the particulars. '98 Z3 with 94k. Everything from what I can tell in very good shape. Front brakes will need doing but otherwise no strange noises, smells or electrical anomalies observed. Engine runs and idles wonderfully. Clutch is in great shape. Here's the rub. The seller, who is very motivated to sell is asking $9k and has very few if any service records. She's owned it for 4 years. She indicated oil changes have been done, tires replaced, tune up performed this past spring. Car is always garaged and from the looks of the undercarriage and overall condition I have no reason to dispute that claim.

With no service records or few at best I know $9k is a pipe dream. It needs front brakes that I can do myself.

Question is what do I offer? If I take Edmunds, KBB and NADA all into account and average them out I'm looking at approx. $7500.

Input and thoughts please.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 08:36 PM
1st Gear Member

coolvegase34 is an unknown quantity at this point
7500 sounds cool. That would be my starting point as a buyer. A convertible in NY in the winter is worth a lot less than in the summer. That is another starting point. Ask her why she thinks it is worth 1500 more than book. Take it to a mechanic and make sure he goes through the whole car as well as a carfax. Pictures would help. Go for a z4. It is more comfortable. The z3 is comfortable if you are 5'6 and 150. If you are any taller or heavier like me, or have long legs and like to spread out, it is an uncomfortable car. If you don't care that much about comfort and still want performance, go for a nice e36 m3. Much more bang for the buck.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 08:45 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
She has "other" suitors on the car (don't they all) but I can tell you she had it listed locally for over a month and it's still there. She and her husband are commuting weekly back and forth from Albany as she was transferred for work and is selling her house as well. She's trying to get out of here from the sounds of it.

I am 6'1', 240 and it was a comfortable ride. I was actually surprised how much headroom and legroom I actually had. My wife is short so she fits in damn near anything.

I am concerned that with her availability or lack thereof I won't be able to get it to a mechanic until after a purchase. I'm not afraid to work on anything and know my way a round a vehicle but if one thing I've learned from reading on these cars--service history really helps.

I'm not in love with the car but is the best from a mechanical standpoint I've looked at thus far with more or fewer miles and year.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Z4 but honestly I don't like the looks nearly as much--IMO.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 11:26 PM
A NEW DAY RISES...

RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
Seriously...

Cainer - here are some big things to think about -

First - the Z3 is very comfortable for a man up to about 6'3" tall and
a companion. Ask MiguelACA - a 6'2" Werkz member or better - trust
yourself. I of course agree the Z3 is a GREAT car and is much nicer as
to lines (straight and curves, not boxey like the Z4 IMO.

Here's an idea...Maybe you can buy your dream one of a kind, one
owner, custom Z3. It's the last production year of the model - 2002,
with all the bugs worked out by that last model year. It has 25K
highway miles on it. It has a VF Engineering SUPERCHARGER, GIAC chip
for the ECU (only approximately 3000 miles on the SC, brakes and
suspension, really closer to 2500), H & R coilovers lowered to a
racing posture, Brembo GT big brake
kit, Beyern multi wheels and near new Michelin Pilot Sport Tires,$5K
custom stereo incl iPod, Remus Sport Exhaust, AC Schnitzer Racing pedals and on and on...it is Jet Black with a beige top and beige leather seats. YES -I mean MY ROADSTER - a very special car that is very loved but as will soon be announced, she may be a luxury that needs a new home and does not get
driven very much at all these days since her superstar big sister came
to town. I planned to keep her FOREVER, but again, just don't really
need three cars right now. Other options may include the Roadster
without the Supercharger kit. Obviously this will cost a lot more than
a near 100K multi-owner 1998 car versus a garaged show car... If you
are SERIOUS - PM me - you or anyone else. I can send a complete mods
list and pictures a well but here are some samples. Hmmmmm....

2008 ///M5 with Eisenmann race exhaust "Athena"
2013 VOLKSWAGEN Tiguan 2L Turbo
RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
RIP 2002 Z3 Roadster 2.5i - VF Supercharged, 5-speed, Brembos etc.
Turkey ///M Car Fleet Commander
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
#5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 11:33 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Roadster Madness your killing me....

That car is gorgeous and looks clearly like a labor love.

I'm not there yet. Came into a little bit of money and looking to get my feet wet in the bimmer world not do a canonball....

Besides I'd flip out the first time my wife went to start that beauty of yours. Not sure my heart could take the strain.

Thanks for the offer and confirming the Z3 is the better looking model.

Cheers
#6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 01:24 AM
1st Gear Member

coolvegase34 is an unknown quantity at this point
That is part of what my point was. Aside from the comfort level, Roadster madness' car is a lot better and for sure, better taken care of and will come with service records, than the other one you mentioned. Roadster Madness, just curious, how much? I may be a little biased in my idea of comfortable. I drive an e34 which is a different type of car altogether in terms of comfort. The z3 might be comfortable by sports car standards, but not buy luxury standards. I am 5'9 1/2, 185lbs and when this girl from work gave me a ride in her 2002 z3, it was by no means "comfortable". And I was in the passenger seat. Roadster Madness, your car is not your typical z3 with almost 100,000 on the clock as the one that he mentioned. Yours is truly custom and a beautiful car with low mileage. All your cars are very nice and obviously well maintained. Cainer, he didn't confirm that the z3 is a better model, you both agree that you like the look better. The z4 is a more expensive car period. Like comparing a m3 to an m5.

Last edited by coolvegase34; 11-14-2009 at 01:25 AM. Reason: typo
#7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 06:40 AM
A NEW DAY RISES...

RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
Actually - comparing the Z3 & Z4 is very similar as both are two seat roadsters (sone coupes too but not this thread) that were nearly mechanically identical at least the first few years of the Z4. The only differences were body an interior stylings. This would then be indeed a cosmetic comparison. The M3 & M5 on the other hand, are different sizes and classes of vehicles - big difference from the minor differences of th two different Z's.

Anyway - while interesting, this is not the thrust of this thread so return to closely watch while some hunt a nice Z for themselves. For the record again - I LOVE the Roadster and do not do this lightly (if I wind up doing it at all...).

Ciao Werkz.

2008 ///M5 with Eisenmann race exhaust "Athena"
2013 VOLKSWAGEN Tiguan 2L Turbo
RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
RIP 2002 Z3 Roadster 2.5i - VF Supercharged, 5-speed, Brembos etc.
Turkey ///M Car Fleet Commander
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > Z3 / Z4 /ZM