New Owner to 2000 Z3 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > Z3 / Z4 /ZM
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Z3 / Z4 /ZM BMW Z3 Forum & BMW Z4 Forum - Covers all the past and present Z3/Z4 vehicles including: BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si, BMW Z4 Roadster 3.0i, Z4 Roadster 3.0si, and the ZM Coupe and Roadster (BMW Z4 Forum, BMW Z3 Forum, BMW ZM Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2007, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
newz34me is on a distinguished road
New Owner to 2000 Z3

So I just purchased a 2000 Z3 with the 2.3 liter, is this the right forum for it?? Also what is the engine code I see alot that are like E36, E35 was just curious if anyone might know. Very new to BMW but looking forward to owning such a nice car.
newz34me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2007, 04:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
A NEW DAY RISES...

Car: 2008 M5, 2011 X5
Photos:
RoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
Welcome to Bimmerland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newz34me
So I just purchased a 2000 Z3 with the 2.3 liter, is this the right forum for it?? Also what is the engine code I see alot that are like E36, E35 was just curious if anyone might know. Very new to BMW but looking forward to owning such a nice car.
Always glad to see another Z3 person here in the 'Werkz. We have several resident Werkzians with a Z. Check out my vbGarage page or that of MiguelAcA or Devinish for other Z's and info and pictures of them. There is oh so much you can do to and with your new BMW - but start by finding a good shop! You've got one now - go and take care of it it and it will treat you right for many years of fun.

There are many places you can post, including the member's lounge for the quickest responses. The Z forum you used is fine too.

Look forward to seeing you around. Take some pictures and then post them in your own vbGarage on this site so we can all see your new baby and its specs! RM

2008 ///M5 with Eisenmann race exhaust "Athena"
2013 VOLKSWAGEN Tiguan 2L Turbo
RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
RIP 2002 Z3 Roadster 2.5i - VF Supercharged, 5-speed, Brembos etc.
Turkey ///M Car Fleet Commander
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
RoadsterMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 05:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Welcome to werkz You should to able to find the help you need here.

Your car is an E36/7 (chassis code). Also, your engine is a 2.5 liter. I know that for some confusing reason, BMW decided to dub it the z3 2.3, but it actually has a 2.5 liter in-line 6 cyl m52 (engine code) in it.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
A NEW DAY RISES...

Photos:
RoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
You should listen to your Dr.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz
Welcome to werkz You should to able to find the help you need here.

Your car is an E36/7 (chassis code). Also, your engine is a 2.5 liter. I know that for some confusing reason, BMW decided to dub it the z3 2.3, but it actually has a 2.5 liter in-line 6 cyl m52 (engine code) in it.

He is wise. The Z3 is a hybrid of sorts and indeed has an E36/7 chasis/body style code. Note the difference from the engine codes. The 2.3 vs. 2.5 issue is somewhat news to me but makes perfect sense as the supercharged dyno #'s made little sense to me with the "2.3" blowing as hard (or a wee bit harder even) than the 2.5 that's in my 2002 (last production year) Z3. Enjoy it.

RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Last edited by RoadsterMadness; 10-06-2007 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
I scored on the car I think, I bought it for 3500 from a really good friend who was in the army and let it sit for 6 months. It needs a top and a quarter panel both which I found on ebay for under 1000 for both. Has 105000, and now just trying to find a shop, these things are expensive to get worked on but I love the car, just looks so sleek. Once I get the top fixed I will take some pictures. You will see me on here alot have a little extra cash from my loan to make her mine!!! So soon as the small things are fixed questions will be flying.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
A NEW DAY RISES...

Photos:
Nice

Quote:
I scored on the car I think, I bought it for 3500 from a really good friend who was in the army and let it sit for 6 months. It needs a top and a quarter panel both which I found on ebay for under 1000 for both. Has 105000, and now just trying to find a shop, these things are expensive to get worked on but I love the car, just looks so sleek. Once I get the top fixed I will take some pictures. You will see me on here alot have a little extra cash from my loan to make her mine!!! So soon as the small things are fixed questions will be flying.

Great price even with the work and milage. Where are you located? Someone on the Werkz can surely recommend a good shop. You can, of course, go to a dealer if need be and get yourself set up as a baseline. "Aftermarket" or post-sale changes or modifications are something that would be the exclusive provine of a private shop though. Hey, I baby mine and it will need a new top in the next few years (only 21K miles). What color, what color top, interior, wheels, tires, etc?? I think you are in for quite a ride!

TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Last edited by RoadsterMadness; 10-06-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Messican

Car: 2000 2.3 Z3
Photos:
MiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MiguelACA
woot, another z owner, yes drz was right, its an e36/7 its a frankencar, having parts from both the e30 and e36 cars, so yea, as for the engine, it is a 2.5 liter, its called a 2.3 because its detuned, it has a more restrictive exhaust an intake manifold as well as the ecu, someonelse may verify this, im pretty sure i got it right?

anyways, wlecome!

oh yea... PICS OR BAN!

A morning of awkwardness is better than a night of loneliness
MiguelACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
A NEW DAY RISES...

Photos:
VERY nicely put by the always surprising and impressive Messican! Right on target with the tech stuff. Miggy is right on target with his intel on the Z. He's really made it his own, and made his new prize ride LOOK awesome! Of course he HAS to make it LOOK awesome for both the obvious reasons and because he's sooo far behind me in performance he can barely make out the glint of sun off my chrome dual exhaust tips! but seriously, I LOVED my Z when it was bone stock, I just wished for more power at certain specific times. I've now got it, and all I want it more! I also gave up my smoother ride for a true sports roadster with the loweing of it with the addition the H & R Coilovers. This made it so tight that at times you need your seatbelt to keep you in the car! It does also keep the back end way stiffer than a stock ///M Roadster or ///M Coupe, and she squats down lower on boost and looks insane while doing it (I was goofy for days after finally seeing my car do this when my mechanic drove it).

OK - so we know you've got it now and have the bucks left over from your loan - now tell us WHERE YOU LIVE and we will find you a good shop so you can get off your ass and get your Z on (the road). In fact, we want current pics so we can monitor your progress and have a real "before and after" effect!

PICTURES (NOW) OR BAN!!!!!

TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Old 10-07-2007, 05:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
My theory on the origin of the z3 2.3 denomination: When BMW was forced to shift over to OBDII engine management (more restrictive on emissions, harder to tune, and resulting in less hp out of the same displacement) in 1996, they replaced their M50 engines with the 2.5 liter with a 2.8 liter that increased nominal crank hp from 189 to 190. They also introduced a different 2.5 liter m52 with a nominal crank output of 170 hp. I believe BMW decided to use the _23 suffix for their E39 and E36 cars with the smaller displacement to differentiate it from the existing models that had a _25 suffix. SO I guess in a weird turn of events, when they slapped in the M52B25TU engine into the z3, they decided to go with 2.3, since they already had all these _23 cars and because the z3 2.8 would appear to the untrained eye to be much more powerful when weighed against a 2.3 instead of a 2.5.

This is all speculation on my part, though
Old 10-08-2007, 01:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
I get it on Wednesday, picked it up Friday and took it straight to the shop to get looked at tuned up and have everything looked at. Soon as I get it I will post some pictures of the before, very excited!!!
Old 10-08-2007, 01:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
I am Teh Edumacator.

Car: 1999 Dinan 540i/6, 1995 Dinan 749
Photos:
Teh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Welcome to the Werkz!!! Enjoy your new bimmer.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
Teh Prof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
I live in Las Vegas, any ideas?? It is at the dealer now but I was hoping to find a qualified shop for future that is not so expensive and to tune the car down the road.

Last edited by newz34me; 10-08-2007 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
A NEW DAY RISES...

Photos:
Quote:
I live in Las Vegas, any ideas?? It is at the dealer now but I was hoping to find a qualified shop for future that is not so expensive and to tune the car down the road.
Mine came from Las Vegas' "Desert BMW" (papers were still in the glove box) after an 82 year old man hit a jackpot and asked "How much did I win? and learned instead - no, no $$, you won THAT He asked - what am I gonna do with that?! and flew it back to NYC and traded it in and I got it days later. There were 72 miles on the car after my test drive!

SO - any guys from Las Vegas that can help??!

TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Old 10-11-2007, 01:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Devinish is a splendid one to beholdDevinish is a splendid one to beholdDevinish is a splendid one to beholdDevinish is a splendid one to beholdDevinish is a splendid one to beholdDevinish is a splendid one to beholdDevinish is a splendid one to beholdDevinish is a splendid one to behold
Welcome to the werkz.

The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
Devinish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Ok so they had to order some parts for my car and should finally have it back tomorrow. So ready to have it again haha, will get pics up soon as possible, I am going to change the top and the guy at the bmw shop told me the tops are really hard to change has anyone had this experience, if so any tips? Soon as I get the top and the bad quarter changed will be asking performance questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > Z3 / Z4 /ZM