Electrical issue? Got a stumper here!! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Z3 / Z4 /ZM BMW Z3 Forum & BMW Z4 Forum - Covers all the past and present Z3/Z4 vehicles including: BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si, BMW Z4 Roadster 3.0i, Z4 Roadster 3.0si, and the ZM Coupe and Roadster (BMW Z4 Forum, BMW Z3 Forum, BMW ZM Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 09:18 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
qwert98 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Electrical issue? Got a stumper here!!

Ive got a stumper here. I have a 2003 Z4 (50k miles) and have an intermittent recurring issue. Seems to happen after it rains. The issue is that the following things stop working until I unhook the battery for a couple hours so the computer can reset: Top, windows, radio(powers on but no sound), signal lights (flash on the car, but not the dash), AC.

Once it resets, its fine until the next time. Could be days, weeks or months later.

Any ideas???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 09:37 AM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
I'd start by trying to isolate an area of the car to focus on. You can do this by taking the car out onto your driveway, get the garden hose an spray a section of the car at a time, get it as wet as you think would reasonably simulate the rain that has been causing the problem, not too much more though. Once you've done that, hop in the car and go for a drive or do what you'd normally do to reveal the problem. If nothing happens move onto the next section of your car, and keep repeating the process until you have a possible area to start focussing on, I suspect that its going to be a blocked drain probably under hood/bonnet which is backing water up into an electronic box. See how you go and let us know what you find.
Cheers

Riding in style
#3 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 02:00 PM
n00b

qwert98 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Great idea, I will try that. I will look for evidence of water backing up also. Already replaced convertible top pump due to flooding...
I am sure this is not a problem unique to my car - anyone have a similar experience?
#4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 03:42 PM
n00b

Charles Parham is on a distinguished road
Happening now. Major rains. Son called and said his steering was locked and the car would not crank. Able to jump start to drive to auto parts to have battery checked out. Good battery. This time jump start did not work. Unable to push start (manual transmission) because the steering is locked and can not steer to get in clear area to push start. Battery compartment half full of water. passangers floor mat soaked, standing water.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 06:59 PM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Parham View Post
Happening now. Major rains. Son called and said his steering was locked and the car would not crank. Able to jump start to drive to auto parts to have battery checked out. Good battery. This time jump start did not work. Unable to push start (manual transmission) because the steering is locked and can not steer to get in clear area to push start. Battery compartment half full of water. passangers floor mat soaked, standing water.
Dont start the car with the battery tray full of water! Your just asking to win a Darwin Award. Get it all dried out first before you try to crank it again. Isolate the location that water is coming into the car. most likely around the trunk seal.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 09:38 AM
n00b

Charles Parham is on a distinguished road
Thanks...no need to give me the Darwin Award.....Key will not turn in the ignition switch far enough for the engine to crank. I can hold in Aux position to operate windows, radio, etc. but when the key is released it springs back off the aux position. Finally after repeated attempts and pulling hard on steering wheel key would turn to crank position and vehicle started. As drove out of the parking lot, the steering column made a click and felt like it was going to lock up again but did not after turning the steering hard to the left and right. Drove over 20 miles and parked it. As soon as I cut it off, I attempted to restart but the key would not turn far enough to start the engine. Is there something electrical that causes the steering wheel to think it needs to stay locked? Side note: car has been driven out of alignment for some time. Could that have caused any damage to the steering?
#7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 09:42 AM
n00b

mikemellowz is on a distinguished road
Hey thanks for this information. I am having this problem on my mom’s car. But now I can also solve this issue. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > Z3 / Z4 /ZM