dinan supercharger! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Z3 / Z4 /ZM BMW Z3 Forum & BMW Z4 Forum - Covers all the past and present Z3/Z4 vehicles including: BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si, BMW Z4 Roadster 3.0i, Z4 Roadster 3.0si, and the ZM Coupe and Roadster (BMW Z4 Forum, BMW Z3 Forum, BMW ZM Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 09:07 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
salamancaz3 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question dinan supercharger!

so i recently bought my 97 z3 with a dinan supercharger. i need a smog done but ive already took it to a couple places, and they told me they cant do it is it because of the supercharger? anyone know a place that can do it, in the bay area. oh and also, i may need a new O2 sensor. could that be a possible cause of a failed smog? thanks!

Last edited by salamancaz3; 05-27-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 03:33 AM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
What makes you think that you need an O2 sensor, are there error codes being displayed?
A faulty O2 sensor could be feeding back to the Engine Management Unit spurious information that is messing with the air fuel ratio and possibly causing excessively rich exhaust.

Try calling your local Dinan agent and see if they can recommend a suitable tester.

Riding in style
#3 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 03:53 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
before i bought it, i was told it needed it. would i need to change both? when i took it in, they also said something about the air fuel ratio and having a rich exhaust. they didnt seem very helpful, kinda rude like they didnt wanna explain, maybe cause im a girl :/ but you said it so simple. makes sense thanx
#4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 09:30 PM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
There are a couple of things that could cause a rich exhaust, a screwy O2 sensor, or possibly a failing Air Mass Sensor, maybe even a dirty air filter. What I would suggest is that you check what you can easily, then contact Dinan and see who they recommend in your area to do the service and smog testing on your car. If there are no error codes being displayed then its better/cheaper to have some diagnostics equipment involved in the fault finding process.

Dinan Engineering, Inc.
865 Jarvis Dr.
Morgan Hill, CA 95037

Good luck with the process and let us know how you go. Don't let anyone bully you, if you suspect that someone is trying to take advantage of you, make them put it in writing (usually makes them more cautious because you then have their BS documented) and then ask here or other objective parties for their feedback.

Riding in style
#5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 07:18 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
thank you, you're very helpful. how much does it usually cost for the air mass sensor? ive already bought an O2 sensor but i havent put it in yet. i was thinking to just change both so i know those are ok. i have an intake, filter is good

ive noticed alot of places take advantage of females. whenever i take a guy friend with me, they always seem like they WANT to help, rather than when i go alone. sucks but if thats what i have to do haha

i will be going to dinan in morgan hill on wednesday. ill let you know what happens
#6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 06:04 AM
42, The meaning of life

You should expect to pay $250-$350, but see what Dinan have to say first.

Riding in style
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > Z3 / Z4 /ZM