99 Z3M---Both seats are "loose" - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > Z3 / Z4 /ZM
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Z3 / Z4 /ZM BMW Z3 Forum & BMW Z4 Forum - Covers all the past and present Z3/Z4 vehicles including: BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si, BMW Z4 Roadster 3.0i, Z4 Roadster 3.0si, and the ZM Coupe and Roadster (BMW Z4 Forum, BMW Z3 Forum, BMW ZM Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
classicwhaler is on a distinguished road
99 Z3M---Both seats are "loose"

Can someone point me in the right direction? THe driver and passenger seats in my 99 Z3M are "loose" and will not stay firmly in place, regardless of the forward or aft positioning. It's like there's something loose between the track and the frame of the seat. It bothers me and drives my wife crazy, especially with any spirited driving.

Are there some bolts I can get to and tighten? Or is this a dealer service item? We'll be at the Roadster Homecoming and hope to have the techs look at it there, but we may loose our cool between now and then over this.

Help!
classicwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2008, 01:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Hmmm. I don't know off teh top of my head, but maybe you can provide us a little more info so we can make some suggestions. Do you have the manual-adjust or power seats? Have you already tried removing and reinstalling the seats?
Old 08-03-2008, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
loose seats

The driver's seat is power, passenger is manual. It's not like they slip from one setting to another, they are just not firmly in one spot and seem to have "slop" and movement when accelerating or braking.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 88 super ETA, 95 525i
Photos:
darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
Arrow

you'll need to look under the seat and physically see where the "loose" is. It could be at the base(where the seat bolts to the floor board), could be in the slide rails-rock the seat up n down and tilt to check; or could be where the spring frame mates to the seat frame.

And you'll need to check both seats... the "cure" you seek may or may not be the same
darkhorse737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Went back and checked and both seats are power. Duh. Checked the tightness of the bolts attached the track to the floor and the seats to the rails and all are tight.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 88 super ETA, 95 525i
Photos:
darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicwhaler View Post
Went back and checked and both seats are power. Duh. Checked the tightness of the bolts attached the track to the floor and the seats to the rails and all are tight.

uh-oh... must be in the seat cushions then
darkhorse737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Okay--dumb question. What causes loose cushions? This car is a garage queen with just over 15k miles and has never been abused. It looks like it just rolled off the factory line. Is it an age issue with the cushions deteriorating? Thanks.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Car: turbo 325is, 325es, Audi a4 turbo
Photos:
nukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
its not loose cushions, my z3 had the same problem. the motor and the guild rails where they interface can come loose. have to remove the seats to remedy the problem and tighten up the motors.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
radojko is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicwhaler View Post
Can someone point me in the right direction? THe driver and passenger seats in my 99 Z3M are "loose" and will not stay firmly in place, regardless of the forward or aft positioning. It's like there's something loose between the track and the frame of the seat. It bothers me and drives my wife crazy, especially with any spirited driving.

Are there some bolts I can get to and tighten? Or is this a dealer service item? We'll be at the Roadster Homecoming and hope to have the techs look at it there, but we may loose our cool between now and then over this.

Help!
My personal experience with my '97 Roadster - your mileage may vary...

This is a very common Z affliction. There are 4 bushings in the moving mechanism. The problem is that the OEM bushings are cheesy (hard rubber) and deteriorate over time, allowing the seats to move forward when you stop and backward when you accelerate. BMW will extort you to fix this and often recommend replacing the entire mechanism - big $$$. An enterprising Z devotee has designed a much better replacement, made of Teflon.

There are great DIY instructions for doing this repair at Z3 Seat Bushing Installation Instructions.

Best of luck!

-Bob-
radojko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
mike1950 is on a distinguished road
If you are experiencing about 1/2 in of slop in the seats, it is probably the bushings. Easy DIY fix. Common ailment. Go ahead and do the seat modifications while seats are out.
Z3 Products | BimmerDiffs
mike1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > Z3 / Z4 /ZM