X5 Spare Key - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
X Series BMW X3 Forum - Covers all the past and present X vehicles including: X3, X5, X6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 01:27 PM
2nd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
funtoos is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to funtoos
(Thread Starter)
X5 Spare Key

Hey guyz,
I just recently got a used X5 and it only came with one key.. i wanted to get a spare one and the dealer quoted me about $200...
is there any other place i can get a spare key?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 11:09 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I hate to tell you this, but the dealer is close to the only option you have. Since you are inNew Jersey you may be able to find someone who can do it, but I doubt it. You can find someone to lasercut a key, but the keys are chipped for security reasons. $200 is a lot of money, though. Check back soon. SOmebody may know something I don't.

#3 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 09:48 PM
n00b

QuickAgZ is on a distinguished road
Enter another driver looking for a less expensive solution. I recently bought a 1996 Z3 which came with 1 key. So far, I've heard the same - that the dealer is the only place to get a spare. Home Depot & Pep Boys have these little electronic boxes @ the key cutting machine, which is able to detect a computer chip in my key, which I'm told deactivates the ANTI THEFT electronic engine lock (factory installed to prevent use of an unauthorized key), & so they can't duplicate. Anyone with a new idea? Can my private mechanic intervene?
#4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 02:50 AM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
$200 is only for another master key with the keyless entry remote built in. If you guys just need a regular spare for backup in case of emergency then you can get just a regular key quite a bit cheaper form the dealer.

DT

#5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 04:39 PM
5th Gear Member

325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
Yeah, get the non-remote key and save yourself some money dude!

http://www.myspace.com/330xigirl
Come see me at MySpace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > X Series