X5 blows engine and head gasket!!Ticked off at service dept. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
X Series BMW X3 Forum - Covers all the past and present X vehicles including: X3, X5, X6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 01:40 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dawn is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
X5 blows engine and head gasket!!Ticked off at service dept.

Need help..my 2001 X5 overheated in Dec and I took it to a mechanic and they replaced the thermostat and expansion tank..water pump and fan 2500.00. It over heated again and towed it to the BMW service dept. They said they had to replace the thermostat and expansion tank, when I told them I had they said OH and phoned back and said that the expansion tank was put in incorrectly. So they fixed that and replaced the thermostat.. another 1500.00 and they assured me that after doing a pressure test no problems with my coolent system. I was really reluctant to believe them that this was going to correct the problem.
I purchased this car 1 year before from this dealership!
So I drove it for another 3 months and I over heated again, I had it towed back to them and they said that it needed a new hose it was com[letely rotten and that I also now needed a new thermostat and water pump and I told them I just replaced the water pump and they phoned me back and removed that from the quote!! They said that the bill now was 1500.00. I was ticked and said that I was not about to pat for the bill again when the problem will reacure and we were not dealing with the root of the problem and they said that putting 11000 km. in the last 3 months was not their problem. They again assured me everyhting was fine with the car. Well the next morning when I was on my way to pick up the car very reluctantly they phoned me and said that they have now noticed coolent around the cylinder head an now they said I havea warped head and perhaps blown head gasket plus I minght need a new engine ..the total bill 20,000.
I was sick they are not taking any responsiblity..it was just ware on the hose, but I have been investigating it and apparently those hoses should be replaced when you have replaced the thermostat or are removed to do the work.
I have contacted BMW Canada Customer Service.. and they said becasue I had originally taken this car to an unautorized dealer the first time it overheated they will not touch it..

Please help me...I am totally uneducated on mechanics..what do I do. My car is in pieces there and I want to take them to small claims court.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 10:02 PM
5th Gear Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
gosh... thts sickening and i sympathize with u.

any mech worth his salt should have suspected head problems on the 2nd overheat.

what's worse is the charges they put on you are actually almost double than what my mech would charge to do a similar job ...

LESSON TO LEARN: dealers aren't always the best people to help u with car troubles.

*the most glaring contention - Pressure test no problems. PA-HAH... a warped head or blown gasket will NEVER pass a pressure test.!!!!

Last edited by darkhorse737; 05-29-2008 at 10:07 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 10:32 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
So sorry to see this. Best of luck.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 02:12 AM
5th Gear Member

Cool

*dang... I wish I was closer to ms. dawn... i'd take on the job of putting her X5 in order just to show BMW dealership they are not as good as the ads hype them up to be!

best of all if she's nice, and she keeps the beer keg full... i just might take on the labor for free
#5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 04:29 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
^ lol thats very nice of you! hopefully it was straighted out.... i would just sit in their show room compaining to the manager about it and YES i would do it is the SHOW ROOM so that their more likey to help you just to get you out and stop compaining about the Shotty work they did,.....

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 10:02 AM
n00b

darkside720 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to darkside720
That really blows, but in buying it only 1yr before, you should have bumper to bumper coverage... you got "PUNKED" really bad... I never get my car done at the dealer as they are known for blown jobs and over reacted pricing. If I were you, I'd take them to small claims court... good luck...
#7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 10:22 AM
5th Gear Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside720 View Post
That really blows, but in buying it only 1yr before, you should have bumper to bumper coverage... you got "PUNKED" really bad... I never get my car done at the dealer as they are known for blown jobs and over reacted pricing. If I were you, I'd take them to small claims court... good luck...
dunno if they have small claims courts in Canada, bro

...besides, cost to replace an engine is way beyond the jurisdiction of what can be termed "small claims"(there is a max amount you can sue for in small claims, right?)
#8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 11:25 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz

#9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 04:17 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
Here it is 5k max.... which is like just the labor.....i'd say continuse with legal action...

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > X Series