x3 Exhaust 2008 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
X Series BMW X3 Forum - Covers all the past and present X vehicles including: X3, X5, X6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 07:55 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Brett7585 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
x3 Exhaust 2008

Anyone have any thoughts on a new muffler or exhaust for an 08 x3? Problem is the inside the right tailpipe there is a valve that opens and closes for backpresser etc at different revs. If i replace the muffler what do i do with the device that controls the valve seems like it may be an air line. Like if i cut it will i get a check engine light or anything? see pic
x3 Exhaust 2008-valve1.jpg
x3 Exhaust 2008-under-carriage-left.jpg

Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust Valve in Pipe with question.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	28939  

Last edited by Brett7585; 02-23-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 08:05 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Just let it be. Remove it, move it off to teh side, anything really. If you don't believe me, then just remove it, turn on the car, and see if the CEL comes on.

#3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 08:07 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

Thanks.. Do you know its actual purpose other than to control the valve.. is it nessecary for the engine to operate healthy? or just for noise control
#4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 08:17 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Just noise control.

Now that I think about it, the flap is vacuum controlled. So, just make sure not to create a vacuum leak -- seal up the hose end tightly. I recall that many people use a golf tee. Google golf tee mod BMW, and you will see that this is very common either to leave the flap always open on the stock exhaust, or when installing aftermarket exhausts.

Good luck!

#5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 08:33 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Golf tee mod

I looked it up seems like a good idea.. but i could not find any instructions.. any ideas on where to find that? is it literally sticking a golf tee in the end of the hose? should i wrap it with electrical tape?

Thanks again
#6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 09:14 PM
drz
Administrator

Yup, literally sticking the golf tee up the end of the hose. Then, I'd recommend that you wrap it up well, maybe even use a wire tie, and some extra tape.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > X Series