Tooling around in the BMW X3 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
X Series BMW X3 Forum - Covers all the past and present X vehicles including: X3, X5, X6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 08:17 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hudson is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Tooling around in the BMW X3

We drove the new BMW X3 to Hersheypark for the day, and found that the kids are jaded at their very young ages! I liked the new X3 so much more than the first generation, which I didn't think fully deserved the BMW label. What are your thoughts on the vehicle?

My full review is at:

Automotive Traveler Magazine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 06:35 AM
5th Gear Member

jimmythepie jimmythepie jimmythepie jimmythepie
its an ugly looking pig,overpriced and doesn't do much to move motoring on.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 06:49 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythepie View Post
its an ugly looking pig,overpriced and doesn't do much to move motoring on.
In reality, what car on the market today doesn't have two or all three of those qualities?
#4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 11:30 AM
5th Gear Member

Subaru,VW,skoda, Toyota and jaguar for starters. When BMW stop passing their over hyped and over priced cars off as something special i might consider them again. Till then only the badge conscious and motoring pseuds are welcome to pay up and get shafted.A Toyota offers an all round better ownership proposition.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 11:37 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Subaru,VW,skoda, Toyota and jaguar for starters. When BMW stop passing their over hyped and over priced cars off as something special i might consider them again. Till then only the badge conscious and motoring pseuds are welcome to pay up and get shafted.A Toyota offers an all round better ownership proposition.
As a fan of two of those brands (Subaru and Jaguar), I can say that each of them has no less than one of the qualities you mentioned...and in some cases two and all three.

Toyota doesn't do much in the "moving motoring forward" department and some can argue about the styling as well.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 05:49 PM
5th Gear Member

I dont see too many toyota suffering from all the shit we BM owners do,have you not seen an IQ?
My old toyota was as reliable as the day is long, never missed a beat and was as cheap as chips to own.Now where do i start with BMW,Bangles flame crap,overheating,e46 bushing,back axles dropping off etc etc.I could go on but my time is valuable.
If someone else is paying a BMW makes perfect sense,if your paying the figures dont add up,they depreciate like anything else,and cost more in the first place. Now the toyota IQ relatively cheap to buy and run,wont break down and is about as good a city car as one can buy. Oops dont they make the Lexus too? ha who in their right mind would buy a BMW when lexus do it just as good if not better?
#7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 09:06 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I dont see too many toyota suffering from all the shit we BM owners do,have you not seen an IQ?
My old toyota was as reliable as the day is long, never missed a beat and was as cheap as chips to own.Now where do i start with BMW,Bangles flame crap,overheating,e46 bushing,back axles dropping off etc etc.I could go on but my time is valuable.
If someone else is paying a BMW makes perfect sense,if your paying the figures dont add up,they depreciate like anything else,and cost more in the first place. Now the toyota IQ relatively cheap to buy and run,wont break down and is about as good a city car as one can buy. Oops dont they make the Lexus too? ha who in their right mind would buy a BMW when lexus do it just as good if not better?
Where did I disparage Toyota's reliability? Where did YOU mention reliability before this post?
#8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 07:44 AM
5th Gear Member

Reliability is an important aspect of the ownership experience,but forget that bits dropping of and a jaded model range don't help much either. think X6 and 3 and 1 and ask why?
Because there's one born every minute that's why.
#9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 08:13 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I'm not arguing the imporantance of reliability, but your original argument was three points: looks, price, and moving "motoring on." While any modern car (at least the ones offered to the public in the US) will be reliable if maintained, your other three points, to me, are the things that differentiate any two vehicles from each other.
#10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 11:38 AM
5th Gear Member

Hey Hud you asked for comments,you got some.Please don't complain about others thoughts on BMW.Its still ugly,overpriced and doesn't move the genre on. Can we agree to differ and move on also,thank you.
#11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 12:42 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
But I wasn't disagreeing....for the most part. I wholeheartedly agree on the overpriced charge and probably on the genre-changing part as well, although for a sector that I don't like, it drives with the best of them. Ugliness is one of those qualities that cannot be argued...for or against...since we each have our own tastes: you find it ugly, I find it inoffensive (and world's better than the first-generation).

Moving on, though, is tougher. My whole point is to start a conversation (back and forth with both of us adding something) and not simply agree to all of your points. I come here for "chat" and hope to find it.
#12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 04:10 PM
Captain... Savvy ?

Jack Dabsy will become famous soon enough
Garage
ONE word... "PAJERO" (Mitsubishi)... Had a Jap import AND wish I'd never let her go after rebuilding engine... SO MUCH BETTER than any X series !!

Eso es todo!
Please press the "REP" button if you are happy with your response/answer...

Please JOIN, or just have a look... Its Totally FREE...
BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
#13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 05:34 PM
5th Gear Member

stop it right now Daz,or was it those weird seats that had suspension of some sort?
#14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 12:44 PM
n00b

stevewatson is on a distinguished road
Oh yes your right
#15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 09:41 AM
n00b

ndabunka is on a distinguished road
Been a while

I haven't posted in here in a long while but since I own both a top of th eline BMW (2006 750Li) and the most expensive, top of the line Toyota (2006 Highlander Hybrid Limited) I think I can provide "real world" experience...

The Toyota is ...well, a Toyota. Although it is their TOP OF THE LINE Highlander, it STILL does not come with nor does it even have the OPTION to have memory seats. WTF is THAT all about? What it IS about is that the manaufacture wants to FORCE you into a Lexus if you want ANY of the "goodies" (memory seats AREN'T extreme luxuries IMHO but apparently they are in Toyota's).

The BMW has all the bells and whistles and doesn't cost any more than the Toyota to maintain (believe it or not). It has gone through 4 sets of tires in these years we've owned it (95K miles - it seems that HH's have a tire wear issue nobody can get figured out) whereas I replaced the FIRST set of tires on my 750Li only about 6 months ago around ~80K miles (Bought it CPO so the tires were new # 40K miles). The HH has been a good car but lack s a LOT of comfort (few controls on the seats & drivers side leather(?) is splitting, etc).

These two vehicles cost us the SAME thing ($42K new HH & $41,500 for used CPO 750Li). 6 years later, the Toyota is worth $18K. The 750 is still worth $24K so it's pretty obvious which holds it's value better. Both cars currently have approximately the same mileage.

Fuel economy - On the interstate, I get 25MPH with my 7-series. The HyHi gets 26MPG ALL THE TIME so it beats the BMW in the city where I average 18MPG. The Toyota uses regular whereas the BMW uses premium. The Hybrid saves us about $800/year in fuel. Not a HUGE deal but it is a benefit. Unfortunately, at the time we bought it, Toyota was saying it would get 33MPG which (of course) never happened and all the car mfgs were forced to revise their window stickers due to this "problem"

VALUE Winner...BMW because it have more creature comfort, better resale value so better "investment", far more comfortable ride, FAR quieter cabin, etc...

PS - I am here again because I am considering buying a Diesel X5...

Last edited by ndabunka; 08-07-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > X Series