Red "Brakes" Light on Dash - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
X Series BMW X3 Forum - Covers all the past and present X vehicles including: X3, X5, X6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 04:55 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rjelarsen is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Red "Brakes" Light on Dash

Hello All-

Quick question, I just had the front and back brakes changed on my wife's 2002 X5. The mechanic cannot seem to get the red light (Brakes) on the dash reset. He explained that this is sometimes the case when you use aftermarket brakes. Sound right?

I purchased the brakes from Bavarian Autosport and they are suppose to be OEM quality (whatever one's interpetation of that may be).

Anyone else run into a similar problem? Any ideas on how I can get the light / sensor turned off?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Happy New Year!

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 08:46 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Did you order new sensors, and did the mechanic replace them? Once the get the light, your sensors are no longer reusable. You need to replace them with new ones.

If that is all done, my understanding is that the procedure is as follows:

1. Turn key forward to the ON position (without starting the engine)
2. Let sit for 2 mins.
3. Turn off.

I've read in some places that the driver's side door should be left open while doing this.

Please let us know if this worked!

Good luck

- Daniel

#3 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 04:03 PM
n00b

rjelarsen is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Daniel,

Very cool. I just tried it and it worked. Thank you very much as this would have driven me nuts. I really appreciate the help.

I noticed your profile pic shows a 330i. On the 10th of December I was driving home from work in my 330i. Traffic on the expressway had come to a dead stop. I was the last car stopped. After about 5 seconds of sitting still, I was blasted from behind by a CRV going 50 miles per hour. After being transported to the hospital, I walked away 5 hours later with minor injuries. My 330i was totaled but I truely belive it saved my life.

Man I miss that car, but I'm happy as hell to live another day. Thank you BMW for my 330i!
#4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 08:55 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Glad it worked! I know what you mean about being driven crazy by something pesky like this.

I'm glad to hear you didn't suffer any major injuries during the accident. You're not the first person on this very site to share a story of how they are very grateful for having survived a serious wreck while in their BMW. I am glad I have one of them as a daily driver.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > X Series