Need help replacing my On Board Monitor! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
X Series BMW X3 Forum - Covers all the past and present X vehicles including: X3, X5, X6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 02:41 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pretextopr is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Need help replacing my On Board Monitor!

This topic has probable been discussed a thousand, if not million, times, but I have yet to find an answer to my specific problem.

My problem is that I want to replace the old On Board Monitor with the Haulingan unit, and while I have all the necessary equipment to do so (sent from the manufacturer) the only connections that I have are two small 12 pin connectors. One for Blue for the cassette deck and another white one that, I believe, controls the navigation part of the monitor. The connector that the manufacturer sent has the old 17 pin male adapter, that should fit on the business radio with no problem. The only issue that I have is that my X5 came with the On Board Monitor installed from the factory, so I don't have that 17 pin connector (Or at least I cannot find it anywhere inside the dash).

So the question is this. Do I have to re-wire the whole car with the loom used for the Business Radio unit, or is there a way I can retrofit that 17 pin connector using the wires that I already have? Is there someone here that has had the same issue?

I have seen pictures of the same set up here in the forum, but in my case it seems to be a backward step. I have seen different diagrams for the loom online, but only to install the On Board Monitor, not the other way around. We identified different wires, and piggybacked the wires supplied to the ones in the car, and the unit turned on and worked, but no sound from the speakers. What am I missing?

It might seem silly for someone to want to take out the really expensive unit and install a different unit, but in my case the LCD screen cracked and the replacement costs more than the actual Haulingan unit.

If anyone here can point me in the right direction it will be awesome! Happy New year guys!!!

I attached a couple of pictures so you can get an idea of what I am talking about. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Captain... Savvy ?

Jack Dabsy will become famous soon enough
Garage
Hmmm... Not sure on that one. Maybe ask the seller if they have the alternate plug/adaptor... Look on Ebay or even worse, ask The Stealership !!

Eso es todo!
Please press the "REP" button if you are happy with your response/answer...

Please JOIN, or just have a look... Its Totally FREE...
BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
#3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 02:48 PM
n00b

Pretextopr is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Thanks... The radio and plug sits by the spare tire... So the solution will be to push the supplied 9 feet cable from the back of the car all the way to the front. That should do the same trick as having the unit sitting inside the compartment where the CD changer hangs out.

Basically what I have is the radio connected to the Professional HiFi DSP Amplifier, the DVD navigation, and the 6 disc CD Changer. What we were not able to find was the radio. This morning we pulled out the spare tire and it seems that the radio lies by the spare tire. It seems straight forward from there on.

I have not seen a DYI guide or video on YouTube trying to explain how to do this. The reason I need to change this unit is because of the monitor cracking, as you can see on the pictures above. I believe that there has to be a lot more people with this problem, and that are willing and able to replace the unit themselves.

I really don't need all the options, and I rarely listen to radio. I would have retrofitted a DICE in the car, but then again, the monitor right now is a huge P.O.S...

Let me see if this turns out to be the correct way and I will post a DYI for it, for the people that have the same situation...

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > X Series