Get the 3.0 or 4.4 X5? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > X Series
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

X Series BMW X3 Forum - Covers all the past and present X vehicles including: X3, X5, X6

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2005, 11:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
knickknack22 is on a distinguished road
Get the 3.0 or 4.4 X5?

I've test driven both, and I really dont know what to do. From my test drives, I actually seem to like the 3.0 a bit better due to it feeling "peppy" and the 4.4 felt a little doggy. My test drives were both in areas where I couldn't really get on them though, lots of traffic and not large roads. My previous car was a hemi magnum, so I'm used to raw power, in your opinions will the 3.0 satisfy me? Outside of town, when you get onto the freeway and such, will the 3.0 continue to feel peppy...or am I going to want the 4.4? I'm thinking the 3.0 might be fine since it has BMW engineering and the application of the power is better while the hemi magnum had a high HP rating, but still american engineering...you lose a lot in the real world with american cars in my opinion.

Thanks guys
-Jordan
knickknack22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2005, 04:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Elenar is on a distinguished road
I have a 740iL with basically the same engine as the 4.4 X5. It is a fantastic engine. I have no doubt that the 4.4 litre will be an excellent choice - BUT....

We live in a world where practicality is often a concern. Doubtless, if you have the money to buy one of these machines new (as it seems), the petrol consumption isn't an issue. Just remember that the X5 is a HUGE vehicle so even the 3 litre's petrol consumption might be higher than my 4 litre's because of the drag and weight factors.

The consumption might not be an issue, but the RANGE might be. Suppose you don't mind feeding the very thirsty 4.4litre V8, you will have to fill up often. The 3 litre will certainly offer far better consumption and a far more practical range.

If I were to buy an X5, I would go for the 3 litre DIESEL! The diesel has plenty power and LOADS of torque. Torque is stuff that lets you tow a boat up a mountain at 80mph. Also, the diesel is very fuel efficient and you won't have to fill up as often.

The choice in the end, is up to you. There's nothing as wonderful as hearing and feeling that 4.4litre V8 work. That in itself is worth the buy. But you asked which one and in my little world, the 3litre DIESEL would be the one that gets my signature
Elenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Dark BMW is on a distinguished road
you will get better mileage and more fun in the 4.4i
Dark BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > X Series