Coolant Uh-Oh - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
X Series BMW X3 Forum - Covers all the past and present X vehicles including: X3, X5, X6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 09:34 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
brian beverage is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Coolant Uh-Oh

So I went through a car wash this morning and had a slight issue. The plastic tank on the side of the radiator kinda split in two. I didn't notice it until Check Control told me to check the coolant. Luckily I didn't run the engine out or let it get hot, but I had it towed after I found the crack. For future reference though what kinds of coolant can be put in a 2001 X5 4.4i? Because unfortunately BMW coolant is not always readily available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 11:42 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I wouldn't want anything other than BMW coolant in the X5. What I do is keep it readily available. You can buy it on the internet from places like bavauto.com or pelicanparts.com for less than the dealership charges.

Did you get the expansion tank replaced already? This may be a good time to get the rest of the cooling system (belts, hoses, water pump, thermostat, etc.) overhauled if it hasn't been done recently.

#3 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 12:10 PM
n00b

brian beverage is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
It just came from the Inspection about two weeks ago and they said that everything was in tip top shape. I wonder though would BAV sell it by the case? (I like to have a lot of extra when I get it)
#4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 12:35 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian beverage View Post
It just came from the Inspection about two weeks ago and they said that everything was in tip top shape. I wonder though would BAV sell it by the case? (I like to have a lot of extra when I get it)
Wow! A whole case?

Go to their website, get their phone number and give them a call. They can probably work something out for you. I would also try PelicanParts.com over the phone. I'd be surprised if you don't get one of them to accommodate your request.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > X Series