BMW Werkz banner

Car Running Rough

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  beefrank 
#1 ·
Okay, asking for some help here guys!

So I changed my alternator, and I f'ed up because I must not screwed the electrical connector in incorrectly, because soon after starting my car, the engine shut off and there was a small cloud of white smoke. I took everything back apart and noticed a small burn on the alternator, and some of the plastic melted away. I took the alternator back to Auto Zone, and lucky for me the guy let me exchange it for a new one and charged my battery. Re-installed everything and made sure I screwed the metal connector in correctly this time. Started the car up, and everything seemed fine, but noticed the car seemed to run a bit rough. Tried driving it up the street and quickly turned around because I got almost no power. Somethings not right. Can someone help me and maybe point me to what I f'ed up and what I can do to fix it? I hope I didn't mess up my engine.

Could it be an issue with my spark plugs? Maybe thery got missed up with the car shutting off? I have a 2004 X5, V8 4.4

#3 ·
006 525I BMW rough running

Hi
Had the problem twice for rough running engine and poor power. I have replace the problem ignition coils on the spark plugs. Quite eazy to do just undo the coil at the plugs. When the engine does not change in idling that is the problem coil. Hope this helps

#4 · (Edited)
Ignition coil?

What is the readout from your auto diagnostic scan? Autozone will retrieve the code for free with their diagnostic meter. BTW, the diag plug is usually located next to the hood release lever under the steering column. When my engine was running rough with less power, my #1 ignition coil was failing. I replaced all the coils and plugs since the car was above 65K. Voila. The engine performed strongly as new. See my detailed DIY post from Bimmerfest, post #71.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.