BMW X5 Audio Problem PLEASE HELP! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > X Series
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

X Series BMW X3 Forum - Covers all the past and present X vehicles including: X3, X5, X6

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 07:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
2005x5Woman is on a distinguished road
Red face BMW X5 Audio Problem PLEASE HELP!

Hi, I just purchased a 2005 X5 3.0 L from a private dealer. For whatever reason, the audio system seems weird. When the radio is on, it appears that the volume randomly goes down and then back up every minute or so. It doesn't go to mute or anything that drastic, but it goes down noticeably (like two clicks on the steering wheel volume control). I tested to see if I was a speaker issue, but when I turn off the rear speakers, the same thing occurs...and vice versa when the front speakers are off (and left and right as well). Has anyone else had this problem before? Am I crazy? Thank you!
Melissa
2005x5Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Car: E38 1997 728i Individual
Photos:
marti5 is on a distinguished road
Either there's a loose connection to the radio unit which I presume is in the boot/trunk or a loose connection to the amp or the amp is on its way out.

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
marti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

Car: 1976 Benz 300D, 1999 740iL
Photos:
AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
is this at a stop or while driving? you may just has the speed sensitivity way up the radio automatically bumps the volume up when you accelerate and lowers it when you stop.
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
AlpineSixAndSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Audio

Thank you to you both for offering me some suggestions. Question: how do I change the speed sensitivity? I've never seen or heard this happen before, so it has completely thrown me a loop. Thank you for your responses.

Melissa

Last edited by 2005x5Woman; 04-22-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
OMFG another one!?

Car: 89 E30 325i, 2007 Honda
Photos:
witeshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nice
On some car stereos, the speed volume adjustment is one of the toggle options in the bass, treble and fader etc.

Sig by zeaq
witeshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
What if it's not there?

Hi,

What if the speed sensitivity is not there? Where else could it be? Thanks!
Melissa
Old 05-06-2009, 10:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
mrgeemoney is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to mrgeemoney Send a message via Yahoo to mrgeemoney
Check the amp in the trunk, it could have water damage.
mrgeemoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos:
AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
I'll check how to change it on my 7(same setup as the X5) tomorrow and i'll post back how
I am Captain Obvious
Old 05-11-2009, 12:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Thank you

Thank you to all of you who have posted!

How do I check to see if the AMP has water damage?

And yes, I do think that the audio system is affected by acceleration and deceleration. Also, I think it is affected by getting too close to other cars and going under bridges? Does that make sense? Also, I think the radio is affected much more than when a CD is playing.

So complicated! THANK YOU!
Old 05-11-2009, 03:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos:
Sounds like an antenna Reception issue....

But i believe the volume going up and down has to do with the Speed sensitivity being to high Test it by accelerating to 35-40 for a couple seconds then slowing down to a stop for a couple seconds do this couple times (on an empty road of course) and listening to the radio does it go up and down as the speed changes?
I am Captain Obvious
Old 03-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
toromac is on a distinguished road
Volume changes on it's own

I have a 2003 X5, 4.4L with the exact same problem.

I noticed it when I purchased the car a few months ago. Since then I have installed a Dice Media bridge which goes in place of the CD player and also installed BSW speakers. It still does it, so I rule out the CD player and the speakers.

The loose wire is a good theory but I have experience with that sort of thing and it just doesn't sound like that. There is absolutely no distortion, and it doesn't happen when the car shakes or goes over bumps, it just sounds like a volume change.

It seems to do it intermittently when I speed up or slow down. This makes me wonder if could have something to do with a voltage regulator for the SAT NAV. My think is that: slowing down usually involves brake lights (voltage drain) while speeding up increases engine speed (higher alternator output).

I thought the amplifier having water damage was a very interesting comment. Just this morning on my drive to work I noticed that the volume was going up and down more than usual. It was a very damp morning with a bit of drizzle. However, on the drive home the weather dried up a lot and the volume was very well behaved. I didn't notice any volume change at all on the way home.

Does anybody know where exactly the amp is on a 2003 X5? I have the SAT NAV system but I do not have DSP. I am not even sure if my vehicle has an amp.
toromac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Radcliffe9 is on a distinguished road
And yes, I do think that the audio system is affected by acceleration and deceleration. Also, I think it is affected by getting too close to other cars and going under bridges? Does that make sense? Also, I think the radio is affected much more than when a CD is playing.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
toromac is on a distinguished road
I have fixed this issue on my 2003 BMW X5, with Navi, non DSP.

I found out through research that BMW has integrated a speed dependent volume control into the stereo system. Basically, this is how it works: when you speed up the volume increases to compensate for road and wind noise. When you slow down the volume returns to the set level.

Unfortunately you can not turn this feature off, BMW did not incorporate an override into the programing of the stereo. However, you can adjust the sensitivity through the service menu (different than user menu). There is a range from 1 to 10, 1 being the least sensitive and 10 being the greatest. I adjusted mine to 1 and the automatic volume adjustments are almost undetectable. I can barely notice it now and it no longer bothers me.

I did this a few months ago and I no longer remember exactly what keys to press for accessing the service menu. I remember that it was very simple to do, and it doesn't require and special tools. I think you just hold down a key or maybe a combination of keys and the menu appears on the display. I am sure I found the procedure by searching the internet through Google. I remember downloading the manual for the stereo but I am not sure if that is where I found it. Anyway, now that you know what you are looking for it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Good luck
toromac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
Captain... Savvy ?

Car: BMW E38 728i 1996 Met Black
Photos:
Jack Dabsy will become famous soon enough
Garage
Loving that response ;-)

Eso es todo!
Please press the "REP" button if you are happy with your response/answer...

Please JOIN, or just have a look... Its Totally FREE...
BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
Jack Dabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Juliann is on a distinguished road
i would suggest you to check the wires as i think the problem is related with the wires as this problem aroused with me also and the problem was with the wire and after tightening the wires it got ok
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > X Series