BMW Werkz banner

2001 BMW X5 4.4i Burning Oil

8K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  marti5 
#1 ·
I recently bought a 2001 X5 4.4i. I drove it for some weeks and everything was fine. Sudnely on a kick-down it started smoking for hell. I checked it and found it was a definitely oil burn, it is oil smell for sure, and have I had to add oil some times. Sometimes it will smoke, sometimes it will not, and when im at stop lights sitting and then take off... But then sometimes when i stop and take off it will not smoke at all.

Also there is a weird whistling noise that is sort of high pitched that is only present when im having the the smoke.

I sent it to change the rings, head-cyl bolts, and gasket set but the somoke and noise pravails and come out from time to time.

Is the motor dead or can be there some other possible reson?

I helpessly need Help,

Pedro

#2 ·
If its the M62 4.4l like what is in the 540i & 740i around that age it is possibly the Oil Separation Valve at the rear of the intake manifold. Start the engine and let the idle stabilise, once its settled down pull out the engine oil dip stick and see if there is a strong vacume on the dip stick tube, just put your finger over it. If the idle changes dramatically each time you place and then remove your finger, then the OSV is likely to be the issue.
This link explains the process to change it. Please confirm that it is the same engine before going too far.
Rear Manifold Cover aka. OSV | BMW 740iL | Magnum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.