2005 X5 gearbox problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
X Series BMW X3 Forum - Covers all the past and present X vehicles including: X3, X5, X6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 04:49 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alex5865 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
2005 X5 gearbox problem

Anyone having problrms with automatic 6 speed box holding in gear and jumping several gears at a time. My 3.0D 2005 model has been into dealer numerous times. BMW have now told me this is an 'engine characteristic' and I should adapt my driving to suit. Haven't quite figured out how to do this or why I should after spending over £45k on it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 05:47 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
I think they're bs'ing you.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 07:44 PM
5th Gear Member

Live_the_Curves is an unknown quantity at this point
thats a LIE, don't buy there Bullshit.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Don't confuse bmw and the dealership. they are two seperate entities. if the dealer tries to fuck you, talk to the service manager. if he tries to fuck you, call bmw uk. if they try to fuck you, call bmw AG.

remember, there is always someone higher on the totem pole.

#5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 03:26 AM
n00b

Alex5865 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Thanks. Been through the dealership and their service managers long ago. BMW UK technical guy for North of England is the one who advised me to 'adapt my driving'. They are under no illusions that I won't do that,IMO it is now a safety issue, pulling into roundabouts and gears not engaging, dropping 2 gears on motorway at 80mph+, I have now rejected the car, BMW UK have not even replied to my rejection letter, so it looks like I'll have to go through the courts to get my money back and get independent report on car.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 08:15 PM
n00b

Zulu95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sound like they need to upgrade the tranny software. A lot of US board members have had to do this. Sometimes it worked.....
#7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
thats bs... your auto matic just has some software problem it sounds like... id make them re program it and see how it works after that... gears not engaging??? yeah thats not right...
#8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 02:59 PM
n00b

Steve Thraxton is on a distinguished road
Angry X5 6 Speed ZF Auto Gearbox Issues

Alex,

I have had exactly the same issue re my "54" plate X5 3.0 D Sport Auto that I purchased new in Jan 2005 for almost £46,000. It mirrors the issues that you report with yours in the gearbox - Hardly the silky smooth 6 Speed Auto that we were sold eh ?! Also many other issues also such as a bad fitting Panaromic Sunroof, really Bad Blue tooth Comms pack etc etc. Re the gearbox, they told me similar to what you've been told, re the Bluetooth, they said that it doesn't pair well with the Nokia phones (!!),

I have started (2 years ago) legal proceedings to recover my losses - And am happy to talk to you if it'd help ? I also know many others who would help you with their similar experiences ...

Also please check our Jaguar S-Type Ownership Experience - The ZF LURCH Fault - Just click on the "ZF Gearbox lurch" button at the bottom of the page. Also, plse also take a look at Home - What Car? Helping you buy better - click on readers reviews and search for the X5 2000 - 2007 model - You'll find plenty in common there with what SO many are complaining of - Perhaps you'd like to leave your own review. As you say, bottom line is it's a danger to drive. I sincerely hope you get in touch - All the best - Steve
#9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 04:06 PM
n00b

Steve Thraxton is on a distinguished road
This is from BMW own internal site - It's their TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) - You can make you own mind up from here ! ...

BMW has a TSB (SIB240305) for the BMW E60 (New 5 Series) and E63/64 (New 6 Series) with the same ZF 6HP26 transmission, that defines IDENTICALLY the symptoms as outlined above.

SITUATION

BMW TSB - SIB240305 bulletin:

SUBJECT
Harsh 2-1 Downshift

MODEL
E60 (545i); E63/64 645(Ci/Cic) with 6HP26 up to 04/05

SITUATION
Customer may complain of the following:

An excessively harsh 2-1 downshift when decelerating to a stop, or

Transmission "bangs" into gear when accelerating from a full or a "rolling" stop
(vehicle did not come to a complete stop).

CAUSE
EGS software.

CORRECTION
On a customer complaint basis only, reprogram/recode complete vehicle using SSS
with CIP on-line update 17.01, or higher.

Important:
Transmission temperature must remain below 50 deg C and trans shifter must be
placed in P position prior to the start of CIP programming.

In addition read about one BMW Owners' experience and discussion with a ZF Engineer on the Lurch variants - a simple technical admission of the Lurch by ZF :

Steptronic Slam is Back - E60 Forums

Food for thought eh ????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > X Series