BMW Werkz banner

Zaino rules

7K views 45 replies 20 participants last post by  BMWJNKY 
#1 ·
Well the other night I got my 5th coat of Zaino's Z5 paint polish :thumbs I know this may sound strange but I've noticed a big difference in how the paint looks now with the 5th coat on as compaird to just a few days ago when it only had 4. I think I will put another coat on when I get back from exchanging my new printer tomorrow. Zaino is the best paint polish I've ever used. It is kind of a pain to get going with it cause of all the paint prep work that is involved but after that is done you just wipe it on, let it sit for 30min, and wipe it off. Plus unlike wax the more coats you put on the better the paint looks. I've heard from friends that once you get to about the 10-12 coat range your car starts to look like it is wet all the time.

#2 ·
that'd be cool, i always have thought my car looks a ton nicer when wet, i should try that sometime

#4 ·
yah i bet that was quite a pain, my car is a 97. if you ever get to the point of 10-12 coats post some pics id like to see how that would look.

#7 ·
I got the pic off of Zaino's site. The problem with wax is that after about 7-8 coats it starts to get somewhat cloudy looking, Zaino doesn't do this. There are people that have 50+ coats on their cars. Yes, wax looks nice if you have a few coats but there will be a point where it just doesn't look right if you get too many on.

#8 ·
that's all I put on my vette. nothing beats zaino. :thumbs

#11 ·
The reflection pic looks photoshopped. I'd like to see a member pic reproducing it.

#15 ·
i want to start working on making the paint look nice on my 87 soon...

do i put on wax and polish or do u just pick one of them?

Im guessing i should go with teh Zaino since we both have old cars and it seems like it works pretty good with old ones

#16 ·
Originally posted by schneider252@Apr 16 2004, 09:03 PM
i want to start working on making the paint look nice on my 87 soon...

do i put on wax and polish or do u just pick one of them?

Im guessing i should go with teh Zaino since we both have old cars and it seems like it works pretty good with old ones
It works well on a car that has been properly preped for it. If you want to know all the details you can catch me on AIM or yahoo messenger and I'll explain.

#18 ·
Hmmmm....

This stuff sounds sweet, where do i buy it? How much should i expect to pay? How much should i buy? how often do you re apply it?

Also - About the claybar, where on the car do you use it? My paint always has looked pretty new even though it is 14 yrs old, do i still need to claybar it? or just strip the wax?

Thanks!!

#19 ·
Originally posted by sp0rky@Apr 20 2004, 01:35 PM
Hmmmm....

This stuff sounds sweet, where do i buy it? How much should i expect to pay? How much should i buy? how often do you re apply it?

Also - About the claybar, where on the car do you use it? My paint always has looked pretty new even though it is 14 yrs old, do i still need to claybar it? or just strip the wax?

Thanks!!
Unless you know of a distributor in your area the only place to get it is off of their website cause it isn't sold in stores as far as I know, zainobros.com. If it was me starting the Zaino process I would clay bar the car. Even if I got a brand new car I would still clay bar it, it makes a big difference. If you talk to the people at Zaino on the phone they are very helpfull. They also have an OK FAQ page on their website with some good tips.

#21 ·
The pic in the post by AJ's320i looks photoashopped.
It looks like the fender is curved but the picture doesn't have enough curve to it.
imo.

#22 ·
Originally posted by jyep@Apr 16 2004, 09:08 PM
someone told me if you put a coat of carnauba wax over zaino, it'll give it a deeper wet look shine; anyone tried this.
I've seen that also. Somewhere on this board. A link somewhere in this forum.

#23 ·
God damn people, how do you guys do it

/me runs out to buy some meguiars paint cleaner and colorX (zaino is WAY too much for me)

ok, so just claybar the fuck out of my car, and then paint cleaner it two or three times, then wax it for the rest of the day...

Got it.

#24 ·
Thanks for the great information so far guys, just joined the forum and had a few questions. I just got my '04 Silver Grey Metallic / Imola Red ///M3 and it is super-sweet. I live in Toronto where the weather can be quite unpredictable from the standpoint of rain versus shine (at least this spring).

Got a few questions for you guys.

1) I had a clear Stoneguard installed before I took delivery of the car and was wondering if it's OK to use Zaino over this. I have yet to order the product but it seems that this is the way I'll go.

2) I've noticed a few stonechips already :cry at the bottom of the rear wheel wells. I've tried to be careful about driving on gravel etc. but still anticipate this problem. Is there a way to prevent this with a wax / application / other?

3) With regards to the weather, my car is parked outside in a covered space (not an enclosed garage right now) so I was wondering about applying multiple coats of Zaino. If the car gets misted on / rained on etc, should I start from square one (i.e. the Dawn wash, Clay Bar and Zaino from step one onwards), or is it OK to 'quick clean' with something else prior to more coats of Zaino? Also, how does Zaino look after it's been rained on? Water spots?

Thanks for your help.

#25 ·
i dont think zaino can hurt the stoneguard. you can use zaino on chrome too.

once zaino'd all you need to do to clean it is use the special zaino car wash solution that comes with the kit. use it as if you would using normal car wash soap. with the zaino special car wash solution, it wont get rid of the zaino already on the car.

ive had about 4 layers of zaino on my car. ive had no rain spots on my car after a rain session. though one time i had rain spots and this was due to the tree that i parked infront of...pollen.

#26 ·
1) As far as waxing it, based on my research, you treat it like it's part of the car finish. It can be washed and waxed, just like paint/clear coat. I don't clay bar mine. It's not as hard as paint.

2) Click here to see my post/pics on a custom splash guard done with Stoneguard/clear bra. This is the only way I know of to prevent chips to your paint in vulnerable locations.

If you look throught the Pic Forum, I have other posts with many pictures of my clear bra installation. My installers can pretty much cover any part of your car with custom cut clear bra. In addition to the front bumper, I had the full hood, the rocker panels, mirrors, front headlights, fog lights, rear bumper, door edges and splash guards and door cups done.

3) You don't have to do the full treatment but a couple of times a year. As far as I've read on the forum, if your paint is new and smooth, you shoudn't have to use the clay bar. In between you can just do the Zaino every couple of months. In between washes you can use a quick detailer.

My car is temporarily parked outside. I made my own quick detailer. I use a mix of distilled water, a couple of drops of carwash soap, 2 caps of isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol in a 20 oz. spray bottle (shake well to mix the stuff) with some microfiber cloths to clean the cars. I use a separate terry cloth towel specifically to clean any bird crap so the mf cloth won't get messed up. Be sure to use several cloths to clean with to make sure you're not grinding in any dirt.

I spray the car and my mf cloth real good, wipe it down and then be sure dry/polish very thoroughly to remove the spray with the second cloth. Do a small area at a time. I did find that a high density cloth is better to dry polish/dry the car when cleaning it in the late evening because the spray doesn't dry very well and the mf cloth leaves some residue when polishing/drying.

I also use it to clean my rims. I use some soft terry cloth towels to do this job.

I use it pretty much everyday and my car looks like it just came off the show room floor. I carry it in the trunk to I can clean up whenever necessary.
I do find that I have to wax every couple of months. I use an acrylic non-carnuba liquid that's supposed to last six months. You should read through the detailing forum to get some more tips and tricks. Especially for cleaning the interior,tires, chrome and trim pieces.

Since I started using my mix, I've only used a hose on my car once the last 3 months.

btw, cool car! Post some pics, dude. As I was told when I first logged on, pic don't word.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.