what to use to a maintain/revi leather upholstery? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Wash & Detail Keep your ride looking hot! Share your detailing ideas in here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 01:56 AM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ultraviolet353 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I have a 1994 318is with leather upholstery. It is in pretty good condition and I want to keep it that way. What is the best product to use to maintain and perhaps revive soem of the fading that is NOT greasy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 06:55 PM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
Lexol works great. I used it on the leather seats in the Z28 I used to have and they looked brand new when I was done. Its an easy 2 part process, spray on the cleaner let it sit for a little while then wipe it off, then spray on the conditoner let it sit and wipe it off and you are done. Depending on how dry the leather is it may take two applications to get the leather soft again but after the intial cleaning/condtioning you only need to do it every 3 months. I'm like you and hate the greasy feel some cleaners leave, lexol does not leave any greasy feel when you are done.

Some info http://www.lexol.com/newauto.html
#3 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 10:08 AM
n00b

bgoodman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by jonw440@Aug 16 2004, 10:56 AM
Lexol is good but I dont like the idea of "washing the leather" with a soapy cleaner. Plus the protectant left my seats sticky for a day or two.
I echo these sentiments w/r/t sticky leather. However, I actually like the idea of washing the leather and then using the conditioner. It does leave the seats tacky for a while after, but the overall treatment can be superb. There are other solutions out there, so if just depends on how dirty your leather is and if a little sticky will bother you.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 01:58 AM
n00b

Steve530 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by ultraviolet353@Aug 13 2004, 11:56 PM
I have a 1994 318is with leather upholstery. It is in pretty good condition and I want to keep it that way. What is the best product to use to maintain and perhaps revive soem of the fading that is NOT greasy.
[snapback]164920[/snapback]

I just tried the Leatherique products. The rejuvinator oil is supposed to strenthen the leasther. It definitely softens the leather. The Pristine Clean product is intended for routine maintenance. It also makes the leather more pliable and is not greasy.

But this stuff is expensive.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 07:48 AM
PMB
1st Gear Member

PMB is an unknown quantity at this point
I always find with leather that the rougher you treat it the better condition it stays in. All I do with mine is wipe it down with a warm, damp, slightly soapy cloth, then rinse off with a damp non-soapy cloth or three. I do this every couple of months and the leather is never greasy and never seems to have a problem. In my opinion many of these so called conditioners and moisturisers make the leather brittle over time and it ends up cracking after only a few years.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 09:17 AM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Lexol is a great product. Anyone who hasn't or doesn't use it, should. I've used it for years, on many of my past and current cars, and it's the best stuff I've seen. It's sold in tack shops, which should be a good indicator as to its quality.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Wash & Detail