BMW Werkz banner

Washing engine

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  jllphan 
#1 ·
OK i dont knw naything about washing an engine but i think i should mineis dusty... Can i damage anything or short circuit it w\ a powerful hose blast or what are the correct ways \ do's and don'ts of washing an engine. Thanx

#2 ·
#5 ·
I never wash my engine unless really needed. If you detail it periodicallyit will stay nice.
I use:
Shop vac with brush attachment to remove dust.
Use an old paint or parts cleaner brush to dislodge debir, dust, ETC
Wet wipe grimey spots ( use cleaner if needed)
Armorall plastics and hoses after.

If I knew how to post pics of my engine (50,000 mi) I would, never washed the engine. Of course all this is contingent on not having any leaks.

#6 ·
Word of caution re: washing
Agree entirely with what was said previously about covering EVERYTHING electrical up. My buddy with a Subaru WRX took it into his dealership for service the other day. They decided to be nice and wash the engine compartment for him to make everything nice and shiny. When he went to pick it up after service the car wouldn't turn over. Turns out that this is a known problem with this model that the alternator sits near the bottom of the engine bay and ALL WATER will leak into the open end of the housing.

Long story short, the dealer replaced it free of charge but only after some back-and-forth with the service manager. :poke

Stupid!

Dunno if this is a problem with Beemers re: location of the alternator etc. Ya, so anyway, keep it covered up or use caution where the water's going.

#7 ·
If you want a 'show shiney' engine then spend a good few hours with a toothbrush, a pile of rags and a light degreaser....

I wouldn't blast an engine with water, the risk is too high for the reward.

I don't know if it still happens but I heard about a few companies who will strip your engine out, clean and polish, relube and replace your engine for about £500 ($750) Then again, that sounds more stupid than water.

I remember hosing my mum's car as a small child and thinking how dirty the exhaust was.... nobody else found it as generous as I expected when the engine had to be drained. :lol:

#8 ·
Originally posted by Mr White G@Jun 16 2004, 10:18 AM
I remember hosing my mum's car as a small child and thinking how dirty the exhaust was.... nobody else found it as generous as I expected when the engine had to be drained. :lol:
LOL...such a helpful child.... :bravo

Almost as good as your story...I put washing detergent in our pool....nice bubbles but pool had to be drained.. :eek:uch

#9 ·
Originally posted by CiscoKid@May 30 2004, 09:33 AM
i use fomy engine brite, then i use CO2 engine detailer

and BAM!
Very clean engine compartment.

Do you also clean the underside of the engine?

Where do you buy your supplies?

Can you give us a step by step?

#10 ·
I'd love to know where i can buy this stuff... I usually just dilute some simple green to get it done

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.