BMW Werkz banner

To wash or not to wash

4K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  KingScare 
#1 ·
Hi all. I know that automatic car washes are pretty bad for my finish, but when my car is covered in road salt and the temperature isn't expected to get above 25 for a few weeks (yes, I would wash it by hand if it was 32+) should I bite the bullet and take it to an automatic wash? Can the salt do more damage? Thanks.

R

#2 ·
From what I understand the salt does not start to do it's dirty work until the tempture gets above freezing and everything starts to melt. Don't know where I heard that no real proof. I found a good automatic car wash and will use it 5 or 6 times this winter. Natch I will hand wash in nice weather. Not as peticular as I once was. I have a 79 TA with 38K on it and it has never seen a car wash. My 04 M3 has twice this winter so far. I live in Cincy, the winters are not too bad. I prob. should not have said that.

#3 ·
Yeh it was 65 today... to cold for me to wash my car

#8 ·
I would stay away from the automatic car washes as you don't really know what chemicals they could be spraying on your paint, not to mention the scratches they will make. You should just go to one of the do-it-yourself centers with the pressure washers. While the water won't clean the dirt off, it will rinse away all of the salt with no problem.

-Josh

#9 ·
HAHAHHAHAHAH. I own you all! 71* today. Automatics are ok if it is touchless and you do it sparingly. If you dont know, the problems with touchless washes are 1 the oils in the plastics are dryed out and 2 they take off any wax you have on.

#10 ·
here we go. the only ok auto wash is the touchless one. They suck tho because its basically a 1 minute pressure wash. Meaning imagine having a pressure washer at home and spraying ur car for 1 minute.

So if you went off roading and want to take some dirt and mud off then itll suffice. But your car will still be dirty.

#13 ·
Originally posted by Cavalier2123@Jan 15 2004, 05:59 PM
Yes, salt will disolve and rinse away with water very easily and it won't harm your paint.

-Josh

someone make me a sig~
not true. just rinsing your car with water will not disolve the salt. salt is actually pretty tough to thoroughly remove. there is something called salt-away that is used on boats after being run in salt water does wonders on removing salt. i suggest you check it out. it could save you some rust spots. here is their website... http://www.salt-away.com .

#18 ·
But it doesn't work well below about 10 F, and not at all below 0 F (By definition of the Fahrenheit scale). Below that, they use sand just to get some traction

#21 ·
I was asking me that same question.....

But it's basically highway driving that wrecks your ride during the winter.

When it rains in your area, your car gets alot of spalsh from everyone and everything.

Well in the winter, that splash is FREAKING NASTY!!! It's got nasty melted snow, nasty diluted junk from your tires, incorporated in that is anything they use to temper the roads....AND it's freaking splashing EVERYWHERE ...

if you want a picture...i can provide that... daily driven cars ARE DISGUSTING!! I'd freak if my bimmer was that dirty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.