Re-painting a BMW - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Wash & Detail
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Wash & Detail Keep your ride looking hot! Share your detailing ideas in here!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2004, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
uzun is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi everyone,
Has anyone ever re-painted their BMW using a color that is different than the car's original color (for example, re-painting a black metallic BMW with silver metallic paint)? I suppose the plastic components such as front and rear bumper will have to be replaced as well to match the new color. If anyone has done such a re-painting job, how much did you spend for the painting and the new plastic components that needed to be replaced?
uzun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2004, 01:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: Dinan Stg 1 M3
Photos:
Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Slvr e39
I have never done this but I would recommend painting the plastic components for a good look. What car you doing this on? It kinda all depends on that if the plastic will look good or not. However, if you paint them they will have to be removed anyways...
Old 08-04-2004, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
uzun is an unknown quantity at this point
The car is a black metallic 325I. I was just wondering about the feasibility of going to silver metallic paint on this car since I have come to realize that I like the silver metallic paint on BMWs best. (The reason I got this black metallic car was because the I had gotten a great deal on the car and had not wanted to miss the opportunity.) I also just found out on another BMW forum that such a color change would be too costly and would also affect the resale value of the car further down the road. So it might not be a good idea after all.
uzun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 10:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
businessman_b is an unknown quantity at this point
A quality paint job is very expensive....especially if you're doing a color change.
businessman_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 11:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Gulelin is an unknown quantity at this point
Remember that repainting a car like that will reduce it's value on a new car like that. In the engine compartment the paint color is engraved right on the strut tower, so it's easy to tell it's been repainted. And that will reduce resale value in the future if your going to sell it. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
TMac325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to TMac325is
i dunno why you dont like the black on bmws, personally ive always thought it looks the best

<span style='font-family:Arial'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>T-Mac</span>
95' BMW 325is Jet Black, 5 speed
Xtec 6000k HID kit, DDE Enhanced, Euro Ellipsoids, M3 Front Bumper, Color-matched rear,
Alpine Mp3/CD, 20% tint, M3 Contour Rims, Smoked Corners, front lip
Clear Side markers, K&amp;N Performance Filter, Debaffle, Color-matched side skirts</span>
TMac325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 11:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
mikester328 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to mikester328
IMO, keeping my black bmw clean is super hard. Unfortunately, I don't have a garage all the time, and have to park it up under trees for shade, but it gets completely filthy and me living in South Carolina, it's fairly hot here. The stains from bird crap and just rain drops are seen really really easily. I had a white 328, and it looked clean almost all the time, black is sleek though when it's washed and wiped down well, but it's a hassle. I was also thinking of changing; I would immediately if it wasn't so expensive.

Mike
mikester328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 01:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jim86325es is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by mikester318@Aug 4 2004, 11:33 AM
IMO, keeping my black bmw clean is super hard. Unfortunately, I don't have a garage all the time, and have to park it up under trees for shade, but it gets completely filthy and me living in South Carolina, it's fairly hot here. The stains from bird crap and just rain drops are seen really really easily. I had a white 328, and it looked clean almost all the time, black is sleek though when it's washed and wiped down well, but it's a hassle. I was also thinking of changing; I would immediately if it wasn't so expensive.

Mike
[snapback]158414[/snapback]
I am in the "scuffing" process of my paint job. It is Delphin Grey Metallic. I was going to paint it silver, but that is just too time consuming. Wifey wants it a darker grey than the delphin, so I'll have them mix it a shade or two darker. To the untrained eye it won't be too noticeable.

If you don't plan on selling the car then don't worry about resale value. Paint it the color you want and enjoy it. The purists are the only one's who will rain on your parade.
jim86325es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 02:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
BUSTaMOVE is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow , the thing is when repainting diffrent color you hafta almost dissasebmle all of as well as taking doors off to get in door trim, then removing all seals and wow its tough when u think of all the small stuff
BUSTaMOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 01:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
rsn48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Look at the tv shows like "Overhaulin" that re-paint cars to get an idea of how far down a car has to be stripped of goodies before the new paint job. Everything comes off.

In Canada (higher prices) I have been quoted $12,000 to completely repaint a car. Most of the money goes towards stipping and re-assembling the car.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Wash & Detail