BMW Werkz banner

Protecting Black Trim From Fading

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  morph 
#1 ·
I posted this on another forum as well... I just got one of these in the mail and am worried it will fade into that sparkled grayish color that cheap plastics tend to do in the sun after some time. I want to seriously protect it, but am not sure what to use. I was thinking about how this would turn out: Treat it with the usual temporary trim shine/protectant that I use when I was the car. After letting that dry, apply a coat or 2 of some kind of spray-on, clear lacquer or varnish. I just don't know if the plastic will fade while under the varnish or not. Anyone done this?

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Originally posted by Cavalier2123@Oct 26 2004, 09:58 PM
Any idea if plastic will still fade with a clear coating of lacquer on it?
[snapback]219216[/snapback]​
Yes - lacquer has no UV retardant qualities to it - unless you can find one that has a UV filter in it - I have never seen one

J...

#7 ·
Originally posted by BLACKBMW+Oct 27 2004, 08:16 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BLACKBMW @ Oct 27 2004, 08:16 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Cavalier2123@Oct 26 2004, 09:58 PM
Any idea if plastic will still fade with a clear coating of lacquer on it?
[snapback]219216[/snapback]​
Yes - lacquer has no UV retardant qualities to it - unless you can find one that has a UV filter in it - I have never seen one

J...
[snapback]219383[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

I used that 'Forever Black' stuff on my trim. I got the new Euro license plate mount in the mail and ended up having to dye the new plastic b/c the trim looked sooo good on the car.

After testing some things out i found this about the 'Forever Black:'

(*) Alcohol swabs remove the ink
(*) Nail polish remover removes the ink
(*) Soap and scrubbing does not affect the ink.

I really dig the stuff and plan on using it more!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.