BMW Werkz banner

Molding

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Gulelin 
#1 ·
Hiya, I have a 04 330i of which brings me to my question.

When I first picked up the car I noticed the dealership upon detailing the car got some wax type residue on the molding up above the driver side window. I didnt think much about it at first but the more I saw it the more it bothered me. So yes I tried to wipe it off and did several of the various tricks to remove the wax from the molding and finally did, however at a price. There is now a worn spot where I have rubbed so much that its actually faded a bit from the rest of the molding.

So my question is, on this faded spot where I rubbed the wax out so much on the molding, is there anyway the paint shop or anyone that can put the coating back on the worn area or do I have to replace the whole strip of molding itself?

Any help would be appreciated. ty

#2 ·
Whenever the dealer does anything that causes a problem, no matter how small, immediately call your service rep. and make an appointment to get it repaired/cleaned/replaced.

I just had my dealer replace my driver's side window, replace the air filter cover, clean both interior front door panels and repair/paint/clearcoat a small area on the lower passenger side window pillar. All this because of scratches or scuff marks caused by the uncaring (uncareful) technicians or porters.

I had them cone off my car on their lot right outside their shop so no one had to drive my car while it was there. I was the only one to drive it after the repairs were completed. Since I hand detail my car 6-7 days a week, I know every little pit and ding. Its never seen a car wash and looks/smells showroom fresh. They really couldn't argue with me much over the items that I had pointed out.

They were cooperative about the repairs but could have done more by throwing in some extras like free wax/cleaner or something for all the time I wasted.

Call your dealer!

#3 ·
..wow..
:thud :thud :thud

#4 ·
I agree. My delaer scratched my paint doing a courtesy wash of the vehicle. Being detailed oriented like Silver, I pointed out exactly what went wrong and they detailed the entire car at their cost immediately. It pays to be assertive. You are shelling out a lot of $$ for a fine piece of equipments and it should be cared for as such by the people that sell it.

#6 ·
It's not too late to take it back to the dealer. Tell them it was there when you picked up the car. Tell them what you told us. You don't know until you ask. What's the downside?

It's been 4 months since I picked up my ride and they took care of the problems I pointed out.

Good luck.

#7 ·
Small update :D

Ive had the car just about 30 days now and has around 400plus miles on it.

Drove to the dealership today, and talked to the guy in parts about the molding. Said his manager would have to look at it first but would probably have to replace the whole strip. However not sure if I will have any problems yet till the manager person looks at it Monday. Told the person today that upon pickup of the car, that it had some waxy residue on the molding, and that the car salesman had noticed it too. Hopefully I will not get any hassels on getting it replaced by them.

Will keep you informed on what happens.

Ty all for the input so far.

#8 ·
Don't let the manager give you any bull.

The sales person should have gotten it taken care of for you. It probably would have had to be replaced anyway. There's no way to actually prove that but it doesn't mean that they should not take care of it for you now. :screwy

Is this the service manager or the general manager? If you're not helped write a letter to the general manager (like I did) to get his/her attention. Tell them how much you enjoy your new car but you really need them to help you out before you decided to change dealerships. :deal

good luck! :cheers

#10 ·
It was a no go :thumbsdown Dealership gave me a hassel saying since I didnt tell them about it when I first picked up the car and since it had gotten worse due to the wax residue getting worked into the molding that it would not be covered.

They are bascially pointing their fingers at the BMW plant that made the car, and the plant is pointing their fingers at the dealership. Neither party are saying the car was detailed by them which caused the residue to get on the molding in the first place. I talked to the body shop manager though, (who seems to be in favor on my side) and he said he was going to talk to the manager some more because he feels that it possbily should be covered under warranty. He also noted that sometimes the dealership doesnt exactly do things the way they should and confuses him even, dealing with warranty coverages.

Anyway, to replace the whole strip including labor was like $85, of which I will not mind paying to just get this mess behind me. Either way, that small of a price in my opinion should be covered but oh well. I even offered to meet them halfway and still no go. :dunno

Will let you know what the body shop managers says when I hear back from him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.