BMW Werkz banner

HOW TO? Repair clear coat on truck/ repaint?

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  ajames 
#1 ·
HI,
I have a really bad case of clear coat flaking on the trunk. Some of it just chips off and the whole truck looks like crap. To have it repaiting they want $300 for it??!!!
Instead, I want to go ahead and try to do it myself. I already wet sanded my other car, so I know how to do it. Basically, what are the steps? Wet sand? then primer or what. I would appreciate it someone gives me help. Even if it looks half as good as the original, its bette than it is now..haha. Thanks!!

BTW..the topic should say trunk..not truck..lol

Heres my baby:

See less See more
#3 ·
I've heard of other owners with this problem. It sounds like the clear coat has "failed". Talk to BMW to see if there is a hidden warranty covering this. Is your problem happening anywhere else?

I had a 1988 Chev. Blazer that was repainted in 1994 at Chevy's expense after I inquired at the local dealership.

Good luck.

#4 ·
Silver4evr-thanks
ive seen other posts with the same probs. So far, its only happening on the trunk. How do I find out if this is under warranty? But isnt it kinda late..cars a 94. How could the warr cover it now?
thanks

#5 ·
the operative word is "hidden" warranty. Stop by a dealer or call BMW to inquire. Maybe put up some posts on all the BMW boards you can find and ask if others had/have the same problem.

#10 ·
I'd need to see a pic, but i'm tempted to say if its just the clear that is failing, you could wet-sand the remainder off, and smooth out the paint underneath. Then compound/polish it out to try to remove some oxidation and get the paint back into order ... then just have it re-cleared. I've heard of plenty of occurances where repainting wasn't necessary ... but getting it re-cleared did the trick. Check around ... that was all just a guess, but i know i've heard of it done

good luck

alex

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.