BMW Werkz banner

how to clean the engine bay

8K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  priyankaarya 
#1 ·
i think there was a post about this, but i wasnt able to find it, i want my engine/engine bay to really shine, the esy on top stuff is easy to clean and shiny, but theres still dirt and stuff in other places that are a little hard to get to, on my contour i would just spray it with degreaser everywhere, little elbow grease, and hose it down, but then again, it wasnt a bimmer...wut do u guys suggest?

#11 ·
i still havent gotten my engine bay cleam like i wanted, i really am too scared to hose it down, i asked before, but didnt get a solid answer, wut should i cover up before hosing down my engine

#12 ·
On my E34:

I sprayed acetone all over the engine bay and let it sit for about 10-20 seconds before spraying it off with a pressure washer. No harm done, just make sure all fuses and bare wires are not visible. You should have no problem with water, as there is always moisture in the engine bay when it rains - therefore the only thing you really have to worry about is erosion with a high molar concentrate of cleaner.

#13 ·
Scyrusurcys said:
On my E34:

I sprayed acetone all over the engine bay and let it sit for about 10-20 seconds before spraying it off with a pressure washer. No harm done, just make sure all fuses and bare wires are not visible. You should have no problem with water, as there is always moisture in the engine bay when it rains - therefore the only thing you really have to worry about is erosion with a high molar concentrate of cleaner.
yikes , acetone will eat into and dull plastic , i have pressure washed more eng then i can count , 1 out of 10 has produced a misfire from water on the ign. system and thats cured by spraying wd-40 on it and thats all ( wd-40 stands for water displacement -40th try ) if you do it at a car wash it can be a day of waiting for it to dry then drive away , if you do it at home then just wait a few hours before starting it , you should be fine , i have pressure washed my z3 with out any problems .

#14 ·
Cleaning of engine is a very technical process. While cleaning if any of its bolt get loose then there is risk of starting problem. If you are a technical person from relevant field then there is no problem otherwise always take the help of professional cleaner from automobile sector.

#18 ·
Wait until the engine is cool. It seems to need to be cold though—you just don't want to introduce a band of cold water to hot parts. Rise the hood and let it cool for an hour. This is when you'll put down the drip pans and absorbent pads to stop the chemicals and gunk from going down the funnels. A quick pre-rinse does several things.

Wait till the engine is cool. It doesn't need to be cold though—you just don't want to introduce a bunch of cold water to hot parts. Pop the hood and let it cool for an hour. This is when you'll put down the drip pans and absorbent pads to stop the chemicals and gunk from going down the gutters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.