hand or machine buff - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Wash & Detail
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Wash & Detail Keep your ride looking hot! Share your detailing ideas in here!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2007, 10:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
nelzabob is on a distinguished road
hand or machine buff

when it comes down to the finish product, will buffing your car with a buffer do a better job then by hand regardless of time? and whats the best buffer you can get

thanks
nelzabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2007, 07:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Toto is on a distinguished road
For a final wax, I always use a pc and soft foam pad. The machine has the ability to: a) put a uniform, thin coat of wax on the car and, b) some of the final waxes can fill very light swirls.

Using a pc will also reduce the amount of product you are using because of the spread and coating ability.

With some waxes like Meguiar's NXT or Wolfgang Sealant, you can apply the product to the entire car and by the time you are finished, it's ready for buffing with a microfiber towel.

Toto
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 02:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
nelzabob is on a distinguished road
layering wax?

iv always just used one layer of carbuna wax while waxing, but iv been reading around the net and hearing that you get better results if you layer a synthetic wax on before hand and leave it for a day and then apply on you carbuna wax, anyway know anything bout this? and also how often do you need to apply hd cleanse?

thanks
nelzabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Toto is on a distinguished road
Well, there's tons of methods posted on the www for carnuba's versus sealants. Some folks have used that method you described and I personally don't see a big benefit. I see more benefit in keeping your car washed properly between waxing as the single most important process you can do.

One layer of carnuba shoud do just fine. But, you could experiment with a panel like a fender or door with sealant + carnuba.

Toto
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
isherdholi will become famous soon enough
Going back to the original question, if your're going to polish by machine, make sure its an orbital polisher and not a rotary polisher. A rotary polisher will leave swirl marks all over your paintwork. You will not get this problem with an orbital polisher
Old 07-10-2007, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car: '97 528i
Photos:
BocaBimmer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BocaBimmer
Not necessarily. It is just as easy to swirl paint with an orbital; it's all about preparation. Given a car that has been properly washed and prepped (usually clayed to remove fine contaminants in the paint) a rotary buffer, in experienced hands, has more polishing and correction potential.
BocaBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 93 325is
Photos:
Colindarling7 is on a distinguished road
I prefer doing it by hand
Old 08-03-2007, 11:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
D&D Auto Detailing is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to D&D Auto Detailing
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelzabob
when it comes down to the finish product, will buffing your car with a buffer do a better job then by hand regardless of time? and whats the best buffer you can get

thanks
I like to apply liquid waxes with the buffer, and paste waxes by hand. There isnt a difference that I know of. Now polishing is a different story. I highly recommend getting the PC 7424 or the new Ultimate Detailing Machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelzabob
iv always just used one layer of carbuna wax while waxing, but iv been reading around the net and hearing that you get better results if you layer a synthetic wax on before hand and leave it for a day and then apply on you carbuna wax, anyway know anything bout this? and also how often do you need to apply hd cleanse?

thanks
The theory behind putting on two coats of a sealant (synthtic wax) is to insure complete coverage, and to get bit more durability out of it. Then you need to let the sealant cure for 12- 24 hours before topping it with your Carnauba. The cure time depends on what sealant you're using. So make sure you read the directions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isherdholi
Going back to the original question, if your're going to polish by machine, make sure its an orbital polisher and not a rotary polisher. A rotary polisher will leave swirl marks all over your paintwork. You will not get this problem with an orbital polisher
Like Boca said, not necessary. Sure the an orbital buffer is a lot more forgiving then a rotary. But putting the rotary in skilled hands yields faster results and more correcting ability.

Last edited by D&D Auto Detailing; 08-03-2007 at 11:25 AM.
D&D Auto Detailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
1LOBOSS will become famous soon enough1LOBOSS will become famous soon enough
Everything I do is by hand
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Wash & Detail