BMW Werkz banner

Great way to remove scratches

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Gator 
#1 ·
My black 1999 BMW 323is had some deep scratches and lots of chips on the hood. I got matching paint from BMW and got some Langka from http://www.langka.com/ . The Langka is like a very fine rubbing compound and has an ingredient that softens and removes newly applied paint from clearcoat. I filled the scratches with multiple coats of paint using a fine brush until the level was above the level of the original paint, waited 24 hours. Then used the Langka as per the directions. Amazingly the scratch virtually disappeared. I then rubbed the area with ScratchX and waxed. Now you can only see the blemish in just the right light from certain angles as the paint color is almost inperceptibly different ( Probably because I didn't use clear coat. ) If it turns out that after using the Langka you didn't completely fill the scratch the first time,just do it again.
The stuff really does work and is certainly worth a try if you want to avoid repainting an entire panel.
The only thing to be careful of is to use a fine cloth from something like an old dress shirt or a 400 count sheet and to make sure the area to be rubbed is immaculate so that stray grit doesn't cause new blemishes.

#3 ·
How about some before and after pics?
This is a good product review post but would have been better to include pics.

#4 ·
sound exacly what i need!!!!!

ok soo this is what u do, right?
buy touchup paint, put it on
wait 24hrs then use this stuff

after your done with it the touchup paint will be practicly fush with your origianl pant?

if so thats SWEET

-----
my mom used this touchup paint, she did it a couple years ago, would it still work if i just bought the langka and used it on the old touchup paint? I doubt it tho, I'll just have to remove the old paint, and get one of those touchup pens

#6 ·
Sorry but I don't have any before pictures as I never thought of it not knowing if it would work especially as all the paint shop pros said the only way was to repaint the panel. I'll try to take some after pictures.

The longer the paint is left on before using the Langka, the harder it is to remove. After several days, it requires considerably more rubbing. With paint that has been on for years, Langka says that some people have reported that it has worked, but the company does not recommend it. The correct drying time depends on temperature and humidity and takes some experimenting for your location. If the paint doesn't dry enough, it can be pulled out of the scratch. If left too long, it takes more rubbing to get the surface flush. For my location in Rhode Island, I found that about 5 hours to 24 hrs was about right.
With some of the really deep scratches, I would apply three coats of paint a half hour apart. Wait five hours. Use the Langka to level the edges. Apply more coats to fill the scratch more completely and use the Langka again. I used a fune tipped brush, but am a real klutz artistically with a quivering hand and eyes that aren't what they used to be.

#7 ·
how many Ounces did u buy?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.