Detailing Questions - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Wash & Detail Keep your ride looking hot! Share your detailing ideas in here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 03:42 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Slvr e39
(Thread Starter)
Hey,
I often wash and wax my car and just last weekend I bought one of those spinning polisher things. The instructions suck but the box came with the actual spinning unit and two different types of covers for the spinner thing... one is for buffing and the other is said to be for polishing and waxing. How do I use this thing??? I have a few minor scratched I would like to figure out how to buff out but I don't wana screw my car up!!! ghead

I have been using Mequires (sorry about the spelling) wax, and I am satisfied but not amazed, what is this Zaino stuff? Should I try some?

On my 528i I have the rims pictured below and they are very hard to clean. Tomorrow I'm trying to really detail my car and I would like to know a good solution for cleaning that type of rim

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rims.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	9154  

Dinan Stg 2 Phoenix Yellow M3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 04:23 AM
3rd Gear Member

Mr White G is an unknown quantity at this point
I use a polish/buffing wheel with a cordless electric drill. Insert attachment, add polish if polishing, one panel at a time. Don't use too much pressure against the car, just let the spinning wheel glide over the top. Same technique for buffing the polish off.

I use T-cut wax for tiny scratches or slightly more course cutting paste for bad scratches. Polish on with one cloth, clean off with another.

Use a non-corrosive degreaser on the wheels. If you want to try a home remedy, use some vinegar/water solution and wash down thouroughly afterwards. If you like REALLY clean wheels, buy some axel stands and take your wheels off to clean them.

<span style='color:blue'>&quot;So my BM makes me a flash bastard? Then I guess you're just keeping it real from the seat of your nova?&quot;</span>

<span style='color:gray'>&quot;...and the home of the brave..... is bravey 130bhp from a 7 litre engine? 100bhp/litre or don't bother building it!&quot;</span>

<span style='color:red'>&quot;Aaahh the UK; where every road is jammed, under construction, poorly maintained and unfairly policed, at least we don't get over-taxed for it........ HA HA HA!&quot;</span>
#3 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 02:13 PM

Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the advice!

#4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 05:20 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I use a polish/buffing wheel with a cordless electric drill. Insert attachment, add polish if polishing, one panel at a time. Don't use too much pressure against the car, just let the spinning wheel glide over the top. Same technique for buffing the polish off.
I just bought some Mequires gold class stuff and I am still wondering about a few things. When I put the wax on and let it cloud a little bit, do I then take my spinning car waxer to it(My Waxer Polisher Thing this is kind like what I got) or do I take the cotton cloth thing to it first or what?

Then About scratches, is there any easy with the buffer attachment to get rid of my scratches SAFELY?

#5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 07:34 PM
5th Gear Member

Silver4evr is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by powerm@Jun 17 2004, 05:00 PM
1) do I then take my spinning car waxer Thing or do I take the cotton cloth thing to it first or what?

2) Then About scratches, is there any easy with the buffer attachment to get rid of my scratches SAFELY?
Based on your questions I suggest you do some serious reading/studying before you do some serious damage to your paint finish. DON'T do anything right now.

Read the FAQs in the Detailing FAQ section about
1) the 'Perfect shine"
2) Scratch removal
3) bird doo removal.

Also read the following articles:

Detailing terms

Detailing Q & A - 101 questions and answers.

Detailing tips, problem solving, reccommendations.

You gotta take your time, gain some knowledge and learn from others. Your car will still be there tomorrow.

2004 E60 530is, Delivered 12/12/03, TiSilver/LGrey, PP, SP,PS, PDC, ACC, FRS, Step, Xenons, clear bra, body colored rear inserts. (Retired, 1983 henna red 320is)

2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition
#6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 12:25 AM
W00T

Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Numark318i
Hey i dont want to start a new post just for this.
Today I used Meguiars Mirror Glaze 85, its a Diamond cut compond 2.0.
What does this exactly do..is it good, it seemed to help get rid of sruface scratches and some marks.
Right ater the Mirror glaze I waxed the car, it looks nice, but should i have used it?

#7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 02:17 AM
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Numark318i@Jun 18 2004, 12:05 AM

Right ater the Mirror glaze I waxed the car, it looks nice, but should i have used it?
If it looks better I guess you should have used it.

2004 E60 530is, Delivered 12/12/03, TiSilver/LGrey, PP, SP,PS, PDC, ACC, FRS, Step, Xenons, clear bra, body colored rear inserts. (Retired, 1983 henna red 320is)

#8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 02:53 AM
3rd Gear Member

Mr White G is an unknown quantity at this point
PowerM - Apply your polish with a cloth. even and liberal coat over each panel and leave to cloud over. If you go around the whole car, stop for a drink then it should be ready. Once clouded uses the buffer to remove the cloud leaving a coat of wax.

Don't try to remove scratches with a buffing wheel. Use some light abrasive paste, gentle circular motion around the affected area and clean weel once scratch has been removed.

Numark318 - There is no immediate worry with abrasive wax compound as it is not course enough to do too much damage. Obviously if you are rubbing abrasive over your cars paint and laquer it will eventually wear leaving you with a dull paint finish.

It works in the same way sandpaper does. The scratches you see disappear are probably in the panel's laquer which can be smoothed but is only so thick. Don't use it in concentrated areas and use it sparingly is my advice... unless you don't mind paying for a new paint job after a few years.

<span style='color:blue'>&quot;So my BM makes me a flash bastard? Then I guess you're just keeping it real from the seat of your nova?&quot;</span>

<span style='color:gray'>&quot;...and the home of the brave..... is bravey 130bhp from a 7 litre engine? 100bhp/litre or don't bother building it!&quot;</span>

<span style='color:red'>&quot;Aaahh the UK; where every road is jammed, under construction, poorly maintained and unfairly policed, at least we don't get over-taxed for it........ HA HA HA!&quot;</span>
#9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 03:27 AM

(Thread Starter)
Hey guys, thanks for all the help! One last question, my Coleman Powermate buffer came with two attachments, a very soft one and a more rough one. What are each for and which one do I use for what Mr. White was talking about
Quote:
Once clouded uses the buffer to remove the cloud leaving a coat of wax.

Thanks

#10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 02:45 AM
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by powerm@Jun 18 2004, 03:07 AM
Hey guys, thanks for all the help! One last question, my Coleman Powermate buffer came with two attachments, a very soft one and a more rough one. What are each for and which one do I use for what Mr. White was talking about
Quote:
Once clouded uses the buffer to remove the cloud leaving a coat of wax.

Thanks
My advice is to first practice on a car other than your bimmer.

I would use the softer one to apply the wax.
If your paint's in good condition prolly don't need to use the rougher one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Wash & Detail