BMW Werkz banner

Crap On My Steering Wheel

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  BeachBunny 
#1 ·
i just bought my 323is and the steerign wheel has a layer of thick clear stuff all over it.. looks like you too clearcoat and sprayed a whole can on it and let it harden.. how can i get this off.. anyone have the same problem
any products that will remove this???

#3 ·
well today i took some armorall leather care whipe and scrubed the hell out of it and after about 10 whips it was 100% better.. nothing is really left on the wheel.. i was just wondering if there is a product out there that i should use on the wheel to protect the leather

#5 ·
Originally posted by Edubs@Apr 26 2005, 11:41 PM
well today i took some armorall leather care whipe and scrubed the hell out of it and after about 10 whips it was 100% better.. nothing is really left on the wheel.. i was just wondering if there is a product out there that i should use on the wheel to protect the leather
[snapback]338149[/snapback]​
I prefer the Zymol cleaner and conditioner. be sure to get the two in seperate bottles and make sure that what ever brand you buy makes them ph balanced. do some research and here is some info i put in another thread:

Here are some things to look for when getting cleaner for your leather. 1. DON'T use the all in one cleaners or the wipes. you want a seperate leather cleaner and seperate leather conditioner. I use Zymol. Very good product and brings out the natural leather smell. Meguiars makes a good leather and conditioner product as well but make sure you get the two seperate bottles.

Cleaner:

Most cleaners contain solvents like alcohol or mineral spirits. These types of cleaners will definitely clean, but also will attack either the finish or dry the leather out

Make sure your cleaner is PH balanced to match the pH of leather. This preserves the leather's strength, durability and appearance

The next step, probably even more important (as long as you’re already neat and tidy with your leather), is conditioning. This nourishes and moisturizes to lubricate individual fibers, keeping them from becoming brittle and dry. It replaces essential, natural oils that evaporate. How can you tell a good conditioner? A good conditioner will offer UV protection. Like human skin, ultra-violet rays will quickly cause deterioration of the leather and shorten its lifespan significantly. A good conditioner will be absorbed into the leather, not sit atop the surface or leave residue behind. The surface should not be oily after application. The very best conditioners are pH balanced, have stain repellants, waterproofing agents to protect from accidents.

Inexpensive leather cleaners and conditioners will contain petroleum distillates, silicon or silicon oils, and gloss agents that deliver an inferior, greasy finish that does nothing for the leather, and transfers to anything that the leather comes in contact with. These chemicals are harmful to your leather. That brings me to the subject of saddle soap. It’s a popular notion that saddle soap is a good cleaner and conditioner. It is neither, that’s why you won’t find any available through our site. Saddle soap originates from the 1800s as a product used in the final stages of tanning hides. A currier used the emulsion of oil in soap (saddle soap) to work into the leather to soften and condition it. The reason it doesn’t make a good conditioner is because it’s alkaline, not pH balanced.

The best way to apply leather to make it BEEUUTEEFUL:

Leather Cleaning & Conditioning:
1. Wipe down leather surface with a damp microfiber towel (use water) to remove all debris
2. Apply leather cleaner directly onto applicator pad
3. Work the cleaner into the leather until all contaminates have risen to the surface
4. Buff off excess cleaner and contaminates with a microfiber towel
5. Once surface is clean, apply leather conditioner onto applicator pad
6. Liberally apply leather conditioner onto the entire surface
7. Allow time for the leather conditioner to penetrate the surface
8. Once desired results are achieved, buff off excess conditioner with a microfiber towel

Leather Cleaning and Conditioning Tips:
- Vacuum seats and crevices before working on leather surfaces
- Test leather cleaner and conditioner in a discrete area to make sure product is safe for your vehicle
- Leather conditioner and cleaner can be further worked into the surface with a leather specific brush
- Leather conditioner can sit for extended periods of time to improve results
- Hand application can improve penetration into the leather surface
- Heat can amplify results of leather conditioning

You can also use a rejuvenator such as the following:

Leatherique Rejuvinator Oil:
The Rejuvinator’s ability to soften even the hardest leather has made it famous worldwide and the choice of Bentley and Rolls Royce owners. It is designed to treat the finest leathers and give them a soft feel that you have never experienced before. The strength of this solution is possible because of a complex blend of animal proteins and collagens. There is absolutely no oil fillers in the Rejuvinator so it will not leave a slippery or greasy feeling behind. Give your leather the treatment it deserves with Leatherique Rejuvinator Oil.

By doing so you can keep your leather just like new. Here are some pics of my M3 when i bought her. 98 M3 57K miles. The leather still looks this good and still smells like it came out of the factory.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/8346...9222_36_350.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/8346...9222_33_350.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/8346...9222_38_350.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/8346...9222_39_350.jpg

so by following these simple steps and researching your products you can keep your leather like new.

Chant :bimmer

#6 ·
Originally posted by Edubs@Apr 26 2005, 08:41 PM
[snapback]338149[/snapback]​
It was probably oil build up from hands. Did you buy it off a girl? I have to clean my stereo knobs and buttons and the rest of that crap regularly cuz I smudge make up on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.