clay bar - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Wash & Detail Keep your ride looking hot! Share your detailing ideas in here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 11:46 PM
zr3
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
zr3 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
clay bar

i recently tried the clay bar system , and i was amazed at the results , it doesn't really substitute buffing or wet sanding , but paint you think is clean and washed can be so much better if you use the clay bar and cleaner wax . if you run your fingers and hand over the paint and it feels even a little rough or sticky , then clay bar it and it will be slick as glass and soft to the touch . i didn't want to mention any company's that make since i don't know if i,m allowed , just wanted to give my input .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 10:06 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future
don't worry man, name names all you want. Lots of guys here swear by clay bars, and i used them alot when i worked for the stealership detailing, but now i'm too lazy, and besides, the beatermobile just ain't worth it.

R.I.P fast 6

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 10:43 PM
n00b

dougdegood07 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to dougdegood07 Send a message via Yahoo to dougdegood07
Clay bar is a must for all car enthusiasts. I use it on all my vehicles, even motorcycles. Clay bar doesn't substitute buffing or wet sanding..because its primary intention is to withdraw all dirt/rocks/grime from your vehicles paint. It allows your wax to have a better contact surface, which means..the coat will last MUCH LONGER.

Just my 2 cents...wash your vehicle with dawn soap..to strip the exisiting coat of wax...then go from there.

Doug
#4 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 03:18 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdegood07 View Post
Clay bar is a must for all car enthusiasts. I use it on all my vehicles, even motorcycles. Clay bar doesn't substitute buffing or wet sanding..because its primary intention is to withdraw all dirt/rocks/grime from your vehicles paint. It allows your wax to have a better contact surface, which means..the coat will last MUCH LONGER.

Just my 2 cents...wash your vehicle with dawn soap..to strip the exisiting coat of wax...then go from there.

Doug
Although your two cents have depreciated over teh 14 months since the thread was posted, your input is still welcome, as are you

#5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:09 AM
4th Gear Member

bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to bimmerguy82
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz View Post
Although your two cents have depreciated over teh 14 months since the thread was posted, your input is still welcome, as are you

BMWcrazy

|AA stage 1 software| UUC light flywheel and clutch| UUC EVO 3 ssk | K&N Intake | Ebay Headers |

BMWCCA member#407674

Founding member of the hit 145 mph in my almost stock 325i BMW club.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:00 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Clay Bar = Paint Surface smooth as a baby's ass......

#7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 03:05 PM
n00b

beybeDBA is on a distinguished road
using clay bar is awesome. i recently purchased an alphine white e30. before using it, the car was really white but then after few minutes scrubbing the bar in the hood i was seeing difference. the unscrubbed part of the hood was actually off white while the scrubbed part was really WHITE!. it took me about 2 hours just to finish using the clay bar in the front bumber, valence, side fenders and the whole hood. and i stopped claying the doors and the rear part of the car because may hands are just tired.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 03:10 PM
teh Canuck....eh

PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PhatCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybayonne View Post
Clay Bar = Paint Surface smooth as a baby's ass......
But what if the baby has teh chickenpox?

I have a clay bar at home, just been too lazy to get the ball rolling with it.

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill
#9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Mr. Clean

BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
I used Meguiar's Clay Bar kit on my car back in May. It took me like 2 hours to do the whole car and the entire kit but it was well worth it. You don't realize all the crap that builds up on top of the clear coat until you do it. My rear fenders were particularly bad but the before and after is amazing. The paint looked wet and felt completely smooth. I made sure to wax my car after as well and it definitely added to the "wetness" of the paint.
#10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatCat View Post
I have a clay bar at home, just been too lazy to get the ball rolling with it.
me too

#11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Mr. Clean

Garage
I wasn't looking forward to doing mine (getting it ready for a big show) but I actually found it to be pretty therapeutic to be honest. It took some time, yes. But the end result was worth the time and while I was doing the work I found that I wasn't thinking about my problems or other BS. It was nice in a weird kind of way...
#12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 02:23 PM
teh Canuck....eh

PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PhatCat
I took a good look at the paint a couple of days ago...clay bar is certainly needed. I can feel the crap in it too, and it's easy to tell it's making a mess of the finish. Maybe I'll give 'er a go this weekend, but only if Nuke gets his going too. It seems like kind of a daunting task lol

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill
#13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 11:24 AM
n00b

Ivan Rajic is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Ivan Rajic
Clay bar is definitely a must for anyone maintaining their paint regularly. I've always recommended it over polishing (if one had to make the choice) because while polishing will get rid of most swirl marks and make the car look better, it will leave some contamination which only clay can remove and this contamination will randomly fly out during washing, drying, etc., further damaging the paint, whereas clay will remove pretty much anything and, even though it won't touch the swirls, it'll ensure washing and drying is as clean as possible and the least amount of swirls can be introduced.

Meg's smooth surface is the best for the enthusiasts because anything more aggressive, like Clay Magic Blue or Meg's blue bar, might mar the paint a bit, making polishing necessary to clean it up.
#14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Mr. Clean

Garage
Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Meguiar's clay bar kit. I've used it on my car a few times and it cleaned up/restored the paint beautifully. After waxing the car it's amazing to see how "wet" the paint looks and how reflective it is. I generally try to do it before winter and I do it after winter as well (although my car doesn't really see snow). Definitely a must for someone who wants to keep their paint looking new!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Wash & Detail