BMW Werkz banner

Baby Oil

6K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  keikun 
#1 ·
A friend of mine suggested baby oil on my leather seats for a protectant. Has anyone ever tried this?

#2 ·
No, but my dad suggested the same thing I just made fun of him for it and told him he was crazy

#5 ·
best thing, but it's impressively nasty would be actual fat (no, not human fat), but fat from the meat you buy at the grocery store. Since that is what the skin of cows (aka leather) nourishes from.

#8 ·
I tried some baby oil on a hidden leather part, i'll let ya know how it works

#9 ·
OK, test came out fine, so I baby-oiled all my seats and vinyl parts (dash, doors...) once I came home from blockbuster. I'll let ya know how it goes, I doubt it will stay shinny, but at least this is good "food" for the leather. And as my dad said it, "If it for baby's skin, it can't possible harm your car's seats"

#13 ·
I wouldn't recommend Baby Oil on leather, but it's excellent for getting a quick temporary shine on your black bumpers, mirrors etc. It leaves zero white residue from my experience, unlike these hellish Back To Black spray polishes.

#14 ·
wow, seriously baby oil? Not a great idea. Sure it'll look good (it's freakin oil people) your seats will look much shinier than they were. But ultimatley, not a great idea.

By Lexol. It's essentially saddle soap, and has few added preservatives for a long lasting protectant. I've been caring for leather seats for a loooooong time, and have to find a better product. It may not be easy to find, but find it. There is nothing better. Apparently, I'm not the only one that thinks so around here....{HERE}

#16 ·
yeah, baby-oil was pretty useless on the seats

#19 ·
Originally posted by jllphan@Feb 21 2005, 05:12 PM
wow, seriously baby oil? Not a great idea. Sure it'll look good (it's freakin oil people) your seats will look much shinier than they were. But ultimatley, not a great idea.

By Lexol. It's essentially saddle soap, and has few added preservatives for a long lasting protectant. I've been caring for leather seats for a loooooong time, and have to find a better product. It may not be easy to find, but find it. There is nothing better. Apparently, I'm not the only one that thinks so around here....{HERE}
[snapback]296604[/snapback]​
Would baby oil also be good to shine up the plastic parts in the engine bay? =\

#20 ·
i use armor all for the plastic in the Engine bay, along with a car of computer spray duster to get all the crud out.

I use Griot's Garage leather treatment on my seats. baby oil sounds like a bad idea.

#21 ·
I would definately advise against baby oil on your nice leather (or, not so nice leather as the case may be)

I use Meguiars Leather Cleaner + Conditioner on the leather in dad's car. It comes up a treat and protects it really well.

The front seats have custom sheepskin covers on them (expensive!) which protects the leather from the light and everything else. The leather is brand new underneath (it still gets conditioned though).

My car has cloth trim, so i just wipe it with Meguiars "Pro" Wipes or whatever they're called. They are supposed to have organic silicones and UV filters in them to stop the sunlight destroying things. It gives a very nice sheen to the interior though, and a wonderful new car smell! :)

#22 ·
Originally posted by Phrozen+Apr 12 2005, 04:00 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Phrozen @ Apr 12 2005, 04:00 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-jllphan@Feb 21 2005, 05:12 PM
wow, seriously baby oil?  Not a great idea.  Sure it'll look good (it's freakin oil people) your seats will look much shinier than they were.  But ultimatley, not a great idea.

By Lexol.  It's essentially saddle soap, and has few added preservatives for a long lasting protectant.  I've been caring for leather seats for a loooooong time, and have to find a better product.  It may not be easy to find, but find it.  There is nothing better.  Apparently, I'm not the only one that thinks so around here....{HERE}
[snapback]296604[/snapback]​
Would baby oil also be good to shine up the plastic parts in the engine bay? =\
[snapback]330661[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Never put oil on plastic or rubber, it breaks it down. It's the same reason you don't use baby oil and a condom.

#23 ·
Back to that pussy juice thread i posted, everyone told me Meguiars made the best leather cleaner and conditioner products. Now whats all the talk about Lexol saddle soap????

#26 ·
My xx'ex spilt baby oil on my nice tan leather in the supra I had. Sold it 2 1/2 years ago so I can buy a e39 (kinda miss that car). Let me tell you that baby oil penetrates on leather and no matter what you use, that shit is impossible to take out. It was caked into it and left a eye sore on the front seat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.