Amazed and Confused - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Wash & Detail Keep your ride looking hot! Share your detailing ideas in here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 01:30 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
pc4now is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Well -- it's been a week straight of reading, web surfing, and re-searching... I must say I'm amazed with the amount and types of product out there for detailing and confused with what is my best options. I feel like I'm in Baskin Robbin Ice Cream 31 Flavors and have no idea what to order. I hope I can get some insight.. I would appreciate it.

I have a new 330xi and would to maintain the ext and int. I've only put 700 miles on it so, but I think its time to give it a good wash/wax/polish, etc. I need some help where to start.

For Ext washing I plan on getting: Meguiar’s Gold Class Shampoo & Conditioner, Genuine Wool Wash Mitt, Schroeder & Tremayne's The Soft Touch Auto Dryer (squeegee), and Sonüs Ultimate Drying Towel.

I don't think I need any Clay products since I don't have any build-up of tar, insects, etc. Is that correct?

To make my life easier I will get the The Porter Cable 7424 that comes with 6.5" Orange Foam Variable Contact Light Cutting Pad, one 6.5" White Foam Flat Polishing Pad, and one 6.5" Gray Foam Variable Contact Finishing Pad.

Can I use the Klasse All-In-One and finish it up with Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze without the need for Waxing? Such as the P21S Carnauba Wax. I'm a little confused how much the Klasse product does. Also, I've read somewhere that I should appy some pre-wax, such as Meguiar's No. 34 Final Inspection, spray to the Pad to help even out the polish.

For the INT, it will be Lexol-pH Leather Cleaner and Lexol Leather Conditioner. I guess I should starting cleanig and conditioning within 60-90 days after I have had my car. I will use Lexol Vinylex on the vinyl.

I haven't even bothered researching about my Tires or Glass cleaning yet... I have to get rid of this headache from reading so much first.

Anyways.. any insights or helpful experiences would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks,
pc4now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 08:04 PM
Neutral Member

ajames is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello ...

well, your on the right track with EVERYTING so far.

it shows that you've done your homework. those are all some great products. i might recommend adding a good claying to that process. its always a good idea, and if this is your first big detail ... may as well give yourself every opportunity to get it right. Not all cars are like this, but many are shipped in by rail and pick up rail dust and other contaminants on the way to the dealership. not every car, but its not gonna hurt at all. if you wish, you can do the "bag test" and put your hand in a plastic baggie, run your hand over the paint, and see if you feel any tiny bumps or flecks. if you do ... clay away, if its silky smooth, you might just be fine.

The Klasse AIO is more of a chemical cleaner and will not really remove too many lights swirls. I would recomment using a *Glaze* or *light polish* prior to the klasse twins. (the differences between glazes/polishes/compounds can be found here ...

as to which glaze or light polish? that's a toughie. a nice light polish will enhance the depth and look of your new paint. with your pc, i hear Menzerna Final Polish can leave some amazing finishes. but do for research for that too ...

and no, the P21s is not necessary after the klasse twins, but many like to add the carnauba over top of the sealant (klasse) as it will give some of the depth that the
sealant lacks. Sealants are generally more shiney/reflective and carnaubas generally give more depth.

you can find the p21s packagad differently as S100 at harley stores for a heck of a lot less ... around $15 as opposed to twice that

good luck!

keep on reading, its where i learned everything i know.

properautocare.com
autogeek.net
autopia.org

alex

<span style='color:blue'>1992 325is
I think i'm in love ...
&quot;Racing in a honda is like racing in the special olympics ... even if you win, you're still retarded.&quot;</span>
#3 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 02:06 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Kevin325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Kevin325i
Actually for swirl marks if I use the klasse twins the caranuba wax takes most of them out. But the Klasse sealant glaze does absolutely nothing to hide swirl marks scratches or chips. It does make the car look very glossy and nice with a couple coats. I'd say use the all in one, then put 2 or 3 coats of the sealant glaze, then finish wtih a couple coats of wax. This doesn't have to be done all in one day, you could do parts like I did.

Kevin (President TBEA)

&quot;WAAAAAAARRRRRIORS, come out to plaaaaay.&quot;
#4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 03:52 PM
Neutral Member

ajames is an unknown quantity at this point
klasse AIO is a chemical cleaner/sealant and may hide some swirls and the addition of a carnauba wax may also hide some swirls, but that wears off under the sealant. and you are left w/ a swirled finish nicely sealed in.

and i'm not sure what klasse carnauba you were referring to. swirls can either be:

a) covered up by fillers and oils
B) removal of some of the clearcoat to make it smooth, done by abrasives.

the only way to get rid of them ... it by abrasives, which aren't found significantly in Klasse or Carnauba waxes ... a light polish that does contain them will remove them for good, and leave you w/ a ready to klasse/wax finish

alex

<span style='color:blue'>1992 325is
I think i'm in love ...
&quot;Racing in a honda is like racing in the special olympics ... even if you win, you're still retarded.&quot;</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Wash & Detail