Great Performance Tires - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Product Reviews A place to review purchased products and new products for your BMW.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 01:22 PM
WOT in Reverse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
(Thread Starter)
Time for new shoes, and I went with BFG KDW-2's purchased from the tirerack.

225/45ZR17 upfront
255/40ZR17 out back (heh, heh)

I've owned tires from a lot of manufacturers (Bridgestone, BFG, Yokohama, Nitto, Goodyear, and Continental just name a few), and thought I would give these a whirl. BFG advertises these as an ultra high performance tire with great dry and wet weather traction (thats where the D and W in KDW come from). The 2 indicates second generation, and this new tread is completely wicked looking. Another unusual feature about this ultra high performance Z-rated tire is that they have a tread wear rating of 300AA, which indicates that I might get +25K miles out of them, which is unheard of for an ultra high performance tire in this price range.

Traction and grip are superb, as I've come to know from BFG. They hold and track well, and are relentless to roll onto their sidewall. Everything I could want from a decent Z-rated tire. But...

I decided to right up a review after I had an unreal experience a few nights ago.

Here in Nashville, we are subject to some terential downpours in the spring, and I commute about 40miles to and from work: put those two together, and I have some unenjoyable and sometimes scarry experiences on my way to and from the office.

Well, it was storming the other night, and I had my first chance to try these dry/wet weather HP tires out. Complete downpour, and most cars on the interstate were traveling well below the posted speedlimit of 70MPH. I got up to speed, hit a few puddles, and was amazed. Dropped it into 5th, gave her a bit more, and was blown away. Absolutely no hydroplaning at all! No shiftyness, nothing. The radical tread design lends itself to cutting through water spots on roadways like no HP tire I've ever owned. I couldn't push this tire too far, as I cruised home at 85MPH like it was a nice evening. I honestly think they rode better in the wet, then they do in the dry!

My only complaint is that they are a bit noisy above 80mph, but I'm hoping that might wear off after a few thousand miles. I now have about 600 miles on them, and they have gotten a tad quieter.

If you want a super comfy ride, with little to no noise, these tires are not for you. If you want an ultra high performance tire, that gives you fantastic all weather traction...I would look no further. Their a great value too, and at this point, I would definitely recomend them.

For more info click here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 09:49 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
UPDATE:

Have a few thousand miles on them now, and they have quieted down a bit. Still not quiet, but what do you expect, given the tread pattern.

And their wet weather performance continues to amaze me. I now feel more likely to hydrolock my car given it's CAI location then hydroplaning :P

Anyways...it was clean, and I had my camera......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New_shoes.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	523.1 KB
ID:	21425  

#3 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 05:40 PM
7th Gear (SMG)

4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
I was looking at those to replace my rears once they wear. Update on the wear and how long you speculate these guys to last when you can? Well written!

Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 12:15 AM
WOT in Reverse

(Thread Starter)
That picture above is with about 3K miles on them. They have a very high tread wear rating on them, but the way I drive, if I get 25K out of them, I'll have my new tire of choice.

#5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 05:07 AM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
that is a cool tread pattern

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 07:31 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
How are your tires doing all these months later?

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Product Reviews