The Bait & Switch, Watch out for this dealer! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Product Reviews
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Product Reviews A place to review purchased products and new products for your BMW.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2005, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
aka76 is on a distinguished road
The Bait & Switch, Watch out for this dealer!

It is without any doubt that most car salesmen are the scum of the earth. You cannot have a clear concious and sell cars. I knew, and everyone knows this already but after my recent experience I realized it must take a special kind of skill to become so dishonest, I mean you really have to put an effort into it. Now here's my story:

After looking at many lotus elises, jaguar s-types (yea, what the hell was I thinking) and other miscellaneous vehicles, I finally had an awakening and realized the M3 was the best choice. Long story short, I jumped on autotrader.com, cars.com, ebay and every other site, searching for the best deal. After carfaxing 30+ M3's, I finally settled on a red convertable 2001 I found on autotrader. It was in Chicago, which is about 13 hours away from my place in Virginia. Called up the dealer, Luxury Motors and asked if they could make a deal. The asking price was $34,900, I offered $32,600 which is a not a bad deal for 43K miles. The salesman said he'd have to talk with his manager and call me back. After about 15 minutes, he called back, at which time I pressed the record button on my answering machine. He said he could do $32,600 and told me to put a deposit in. I double confirmed the price, all the while recording the conversation, and asked how much deposit he needed. He told me to put $2,000 at which point I just laughed and restrained myself from telling him to kiss my ass. Instead, I counter offered $500. After some more talks with the manager, they finally agreed. Now I had my recording as evidence of the verbal contract. I also send an e-mail confirmation of the price but you can never be too cautious when your making an out-of-state purchsae so I jumped back online and found another 01 convertable red m3 in Chicago with only 3,000 additional miles. I called that dealership as well (Chicago Motors) and told them I was interested in the vehicle but only as a backup in the event my deal with Luxury Motors went south. They were very polite and wished me good luck.

Next, I jumped on orbitz.com and booked a flight to Chicago. I than mapquested the distance to the dealer from the airport (34 miles) and called some taxi services in Chicago to get a price ($100 average). I was just preparing for the worst, in the event Luxury Motors failed to pick me up from the airport as they promissed. And thank God I did my homework because 10 minutes after landing, I got a call from a manager at Luxury Motors telling me he didn't want to send anyone since it was a Saturday and they were very busy. This breach of promise automatically triggered my scam-alert instincts and it was at that time I realized what was awaiting me at the dealer. I arrived at Luxury Motors and was greeted by the salesman I made a deal with. He immediately gave me the keys and I took the car out for a spin. Everything in order, we than proceeded with the paperwork. The bill of sales read $34,900 and when I questioned this price the salesman suddenly had a memory loss and didn't remember our agreement of $32,600. He even accused me of making this story up. He was looking dead into my eyes and lying cold-heartedly. I held my ground and counterattacked by recalling the details of the conversation. I asked him to check his e-mail for the confirmation letter I had sent before flying out. He simply acted suprised and told me he hadn't had a chance to check his emails yet. I didn't take out the tape recorder just yet. Instead, I let him talk, and make up stories. At this time, 2 managers were involved in the conversation. Of course, they are the actual ring leaders and the salesman is just a pawn doing what he is told. I was amazed at how hard, 3 grown men standing before me, were trying to play their mind games on me. It got to a point of swearing and yelling (how proffessional) by the managers, telling me I was accusing their 6 year trusted employee, who had never lied before, of lying about the price agreement! I let this go on for anoter minute than told them about my backup plan and showed them the listing of the other M3 I found down the road. This caught them by suprise but they were still not budging, thinking they had me. Now I didn't fly to Chicago without being prepared and what they had coming to them was equivallent to a brick in the face. I waited for the perfect moment, there was a small crowd of salesmen and customers listening in on the yelling match. You could see the smirk on the salesmens' faces as they observed the skills of their managers, trying to manipulate me out of my hard earned cash. They pulled every trick in the book but I had a better weapon. I pulled out my tape recorder, and slammed it on the table. The sound echoed through out the dealership. It was the sound of a judge slamming his hammer calling "order in court", the sweet sound of justice, the sound of victory! All was quiet, all faces on me. I than proceeded to tell the clowns about their illegal breach of verbal contract and played the tape. The recording couldn't have been clearer, the message shot a virtual arrow through their cold blooded hearts. They were dumbfied. Cards had turned, and not only turned but turned and smacked them on the back of the head. All they could do was sit there in silence, all I could do was try not to grin so much. After the silence, one of the managers, realizing the potential law suit, appoligized and said it was a misunderstanding. They than said they could do $32,600 at which point I gathered my things and told them to go screw themselves, I'm going to the other dealership. I called Chicago Motors and told them about the ordeal. They were more than happy to wait for me. Needless to say, I ended up buying the car from Chicago Motors. It wasn't a better deal but atleast it wasn't a bait and switch. The car was clean as a whistle but as I found out on my drive back to VA there were some minor issues. It turned out Chicago Motors wasn't that honest either. They said the car had CPO warranty, which as I found out later did not. I'm taking it for service next week, hopefully it won't be too bad. To those who are intending on buying a vehicle from either one of these dealers beware. Chicago Motors customer service is great but like any other dealer, they're just in it for the sale. Take care all, and do be careful, read this article on edmunds.com:

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/42962/article.html

Its about an editor hired by edmunds to work as an undercover salesman at a couple of dealerships. He gets hired by some dealerships, works for 3 months in sales than reports all the inside scams. A great read and a must for anyone planning on buying a car.
aka76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2005, 04:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
I am Teh Edumacator.

Car: 1999 Dinan 540i/6, 1995 Dinan 749
Photos:
Teh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
I echo the above comments on another Chicago dealer, CarMart USA. I bought my M3 from them a few months back, and there were several undisclosed service issues that anyone driving the car for two or three days would have figured out. It was obvious to me that they had covered these things up. It didn't matter much to me in the end, because they were common issues for my car at its current mileage, so I basically went in assuming they were lying about these things.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
Teh Prof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
7th Gear (SMG)

Car:
Photos:
4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
CPO is good.

Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
4evrwyntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 04:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
JCAMACHO is on a distinguished road
Answer to aka76

Mr. aka76, My name is Jeffrey Camacho. I am Director of Marketing for Luxury Motors in Chicago.

I just read your epic saga slandering Luxury Motors, the entire automobile business, and it's workers.

First of all I would like to say that Luxury Motors has been a direct recipient of an ongoing malicious ecommerce smear campaign by our competitors. I would like to know first of all are you a legitimate customer that had a real experience or another attempt by our competitors to slander us?

Luxury Motors has been in business since 1993. Since than we have sold over 30,000 cars worldwide, for a sales volume over $400,000,000.00 in 2005. When you retail this many cars not every customer ends up totally satisfied alll of the time, but we try our best. We strive to give the customers quality luxury cars, at very competitive prices and an adress any and all issues. We have a great record with the bettter business bureau, and we have created a toll free customer service line to adress any questions or comments either before or after the sale.

AKA76, It just seems like you have gone out of you way to slander us and the industry instead of trying to resolve the issues.

I offer you my direct number to adress your concerns directly. 1-630-330-5288. Call me anytime..
JCAMACHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 04:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
LOS
4th Gear Member

Car: 97 540IA, 95 840CI
Photos:
LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow, very interesting... There is always two sides to any story.

aka76, this is a sad story if true. I have bought several used cars in the past and have had similar experiences. I'm glad Jcamacho is taking his time to address the problem.

Honesty is sacred!

LOS
LOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2005 330xi
Photos:
325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
This is why you should NEVER do verbal agreements...get them to put it in writing and Guarantee the agreement. I got bit hard by a potential employer because I took the guy at his word and double/triple checked our verbal agreement *laughs* will NEVER be that nieve again
Old 05-29-2006, 12:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Devinish is a splendid one to beholdDevinish is a splendid one to beholdDevinish is a splendid one to beholdDevinish is a splendid one to beholdDevinish is a splendid one to beholdDevinish is a splendid one to beholdDevinish is a splendid one to beholdDevinish is a splendid one to behold
WOW, I just read that article, and it was probably one of the best things i have read in a long time. Edmunds ftw!!!!!!!!!!i!i!i!!!1!

The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
Devinish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Car: 1995 BMW M3
Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Interesting. If Jeffrey Camacho ever comes back on here I might ask him a few questions. It's good to see he came on here and appropriately addressed the issue. But what I like even more is the fact he is in automotive marketing, which is what I want to go into after finishing college. Looks like a forum is a great place to start off at.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
quality

Car: 2001 330i & 2011 550i
Photos:
Delmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
That was a really good story!!! The best thing I've read at werkz since my own Neon Ricer story back in 2004.

That is why I dont buy cars online from dealership outside my state. But at least you got your M3.
What year is it?
Old 05-22-2008, 10:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car: 1997 BMW 318i
Photos:
rwall23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to rwall23
You, my friend, are my hero...
rwall23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

Car: 1976 Benz 300D, 1999 740iL
Photos:
AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
lol look at the date....
But over all great story
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
AlpineSixAndSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Product Reviews