BMW Werkz banner

Will the new Aston REALLY be a 911 beater?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Spetsnaz Op 
#1 ·
Anyone expecting the new Aston Martin project 305 Porsche 911 beater to become the promised motoring bargain are going to be very disappointed. Why? Because it will be over budget, over weight and overdue, with realistic deliveries not expected before 2008 for all but the most influential buyers. Even HRH Prince of Wales will not see a car much before late 2006. Quaint little AM, who are building the new car at a refurbished Land Rover factory in the British midlands are nowhere near ready for production. Suppliers working on switchgear, trim, body parts etc are also behind as AM wanted no shared Ford components- so parts are being designed from scratch.

The engine is going to be based on Jaguars excellent V8, but bored out to 4.4 litres and developing 350bhp. Engineers have been a little stressed out working overtime because of fears that technology will have moved on in 4-5 years to the point where the motors expected output and emissions would be uncompetitive, especially against the ever evolving Germans. The power unit is already on the test bed and is expected to appear in the face-lifted XJ8 due out in late 04/early 05 and the updated Range Rover when the BMW deal expires.

See less See more
#2 ·

AM have thousands of enquiries from Merc, Porsche, Jaguar and BMW owners who are wanting something more exclusive for SL / 911 / XK / M6 money but salesman admit that the car needs to be on time and on budget with ample performance or sales will dry up. We were hoping the 305 (possibly to be called DB5 in memory of previous owner David Brown) would come in at Porsche Carrera 2 prices, ie, £57K-60K (USD91K-96K) but budget revisions are erring on the side of £80K-90K, making the car more of a Vanquish little brother than a 911 beater. I hope I am wrong as I can afford a Carrera 2, not a Vanquish!

#4 ·
that center console looks like something out of the 1950's the future documentation. UGLY the rest is tight though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.