BMW Werkz banner

Honada's new AWD system

3K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Maz 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I diidn't have time to watch the whole thing but the only difference I can see is the dual clutch system for the rear. So it's a more complex design then say Subaru however, it automatically sends the torque to the outside rear wheel during a turn instead of waiting for inside wheel sping to occur or any of the other factors to get a response out of most AWD systems. So it's like a passive feature in that it's not activated by anything except turing. I'll watch the rest later and make sure I'm right.

#3 ·
Ok here's my problems with it
1. WTF no front DIFF???
2. Always puts more power to the rear outside wheel?
3. Engine brakes more to the outside rear wheel? Doesn't that = understeer?

I undertand that it's desgined to balance all of these things, but the dual clutch system sound like something that with hard driving would wear out pretty quick. However, I guess we'll see. When does production start on with this system?

#9 ·
I've figured out honda's powerplant: a small japanese boy ths lives on gasoline. Think about that for a second. it would explain the lack of power and the fuel economy. :idea2

#11 ·
like a hampster on the wheel, im revolving around that

#12 ·
You all need to get over your 'Japanese is Rice and rice is bad' habit.

Honda and Toyota are the best car makers in the world.

Honda used to employ a simple AWD/Steering technology on Preludes in the early 90's!

Their motors and technology are ahead of everything on the market. I consider BMW to be the only car maker at the same level as these companies, internationally.

#16 ·
Not some.... there really aren't that many car makers as good as the big Japanese companies.

If you don't believe me then give it 5 years and see what has happened. Ford and GM will no longer be the 'driving' force in automotive, I promise you that.

#17 ·
Just take everything in perspective. Every car company has a focus... and they aim to dominate that specific area. You can say, for instance, that a M3 is better than a civic all day long, but the 2 cars are not even comparable.

Korean cars are made for low income individuals, and realistically offer a lot for very little money. Engine and performance parts/technology costs the most in R&D, therefore korean car companies offer very little of it. They know that a person making $20k a year wont expect to get a high tech performance machine for $11k. But they do give you a lot of options for the price.

Japanese Cars are made for the Japanese first.. then the world market. They like functionality and fuel efficiency over straight performance. So they build well rounded cars for relatively cheap. Japanese cars are the most reliable (notably honda and toyota) cars on the road and will last forever if well maintained. Yes, that means theyll last longer and be less problematic than a BMW. But its still a different (not inferior) breed than a german auto.

German cars are focused on the luxury performance market....and in BMW's case, performance luxury. Its not as reliable as a honda or toyota, but it serves its purpose as a well balanced everyday sporty coupe or sedan. Solidly built but much more expensive than its japanese counterpart.

American cars are built to serve specific purposes and thats it. They make trucks for trucking, minivans for hauling people, and sports cars to just go fast in a straight line.... 10 liter engine outputting 300 horses baby! Quality is inbetween japanese and korean cars, not very efficient and aesthetics vary a lot.

In terms of quality and reliability on a 1-10 scale..
korean cars = 5
american cars = 7
german cars = 9
japanese cars (honda/toyota) = 10

Aesthetics, character, spirit, blah blah is all subjective. Im speaking of quality and reliability in general. Im sure everyone has a story of an uncle who had a mbz or bmw for 20 or 30 years and etc ... but i see 20 year old korean cars (excel) still on the road too.

#18 ·
Koreans (Hyundai) are the only car makers offering 5 year 60000mile warranty in the european market. This coveres bumper to bumper items in and on the car. They also offer a 10 year warranty or 100000 miles on the powertrains (gearbox/engine etc). It's either very clever or very very risky.

American sportscars - oxymoron :lol:

:joking:

#20 ·
Originally posted by RetroSpek@Jul 29 2004, 01:30 PM
in the US... i think daewoo, hyundai and kia all offer the 100k mile powertrain warranty. Its pretty crazy
daewoo did but it's gone under in america, meaning no warrenty. My mechanic has been stuck with a daewoo for two years now. The lady got $600 worth of labor done, luckily he got her to pay for the parts up front. She hasn't been back to get it, and won't return his calls. It's a 2000 daewoo and it's not worth $600!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.