BMW Werkz banner

The Elise is in the US!!!!!!

3K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  triggrhaapi 
#1 ·
See less See more
G
#4 ·
Originally posted by donutchow+May 22 2003, 08:45 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (donutchow @ May 22 2003, 08:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--SpeedsterBMW@May 22 2003, 08:43 AM
nice! :thumbs
why don't you get one of those instead of a 325? [/b][/quote]
thats DEFINALTY not a daily driver...lol

#5 ·
well after the miata is done, I'll have my next project car... although at that price I'll have to pay it off before I go to work on it.

I'm probably going to go for an Esthi 2.4 conversion, Audi 2.7L TT V6 (old S4 engine) or 4.2L V8 (new S4 engine) with some big upgrades and the Esthi body and transmision.

#6 ·
i find a few things fishy about that...

The American Elise will have a 120-hp low-emissions engine and will sticker at $38,500 fully loaded.
ok my first beef is that in the chart below it says it has 150 hp. Also this is a 1.7 liter 4 cylinder. Id expect it to make more HP
Lotus expects to bring in 2000 Elises a year.
There is no way in hell that 2000 of those at a measly $38,000 will last more than 2 weeks, especially with preorder.

other than that i dont care about typing.

#8 ·
they will never be an everyday car. And why does it do 0-60 in 5.1? Simple....that car has NOTHING in it!

No carpets, no AC, i think no heater, seats arent adjustable (besides the drivers), standard windows, no trunk space?? And that top takes forever to put on. THe body is like a light weight material that is umm basically glued to the chassis.

For fun, I would def buy one..youll get soo many head turns. For an everyday car....never.

#9 ·
lol... you need to read a little closer

"...and will sticker at $38,500 fully loaded. That will include air conditioning, leather seats, “everything but a hardtop,”"

The reason its so light is it doesnt have the shit you dont NEED. like backseats and extra headroom and useless sunroof. The car is very small. There is full safety, like door beams and front and rear gaurds, otherwise it would not pass US inspections. If this thing passes canadian inspecitions its gonna be damn safe.

#12 ·
Originally posted by donutchow@May 22 2003, 07:10 AM
amazing how 120 can do 0 to 60 in 5.1 B)
at 1600lbs you don't need much hp.

#15 ·
Originally posted by AZ325Ci+May 22 2003, 11:05 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AZ325Ci @ May 22 2003, 11:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--triggrhaapi@May 22 2003, 10:23 AM
oh and the 1.8L engine is a honda B18 from the RSX base model.
and there you have it [/b][/quote]
doesn't matter to me, the rover K series that the euro elise uses is shittier than honda's B18. I'm still buying one. The Elise chassis is the single greatest work of automotive art ever. it's handling is insane, so is it's braking, accelleration and everything else. It's sublime. I'll buy two.

oh and any car that gets 35mpg and a 5.1 second 0-60 has my vote for best car ever made.

#17 ·
#20 ·
wooow! you guys dont have them there in the states yet.......

they are quick... but there is no weight to them. made out of fibreglass.

be interesting to see if they are more reliable over there in the states...... than over here in the UK,
we say Lotus stands for Loads Of Trouble Usually Serious :lol:

#21 ·
how could it have 120 hp when the b18 has 175 in a prelude. And the site said it had 120 and at another location on the same page said 150. And hey... if you want to see a real car. That is better than the elise by FAR in my opinion. Take a look at this.
The Attack

Built entirely out of Accord parts. best car ever i think. And more affordable. I plan to get one when i have enough money for 2 cars (attack kit and accord lol)

#22 ·
I'm guessing they detuned the engine for the 111, and left it stock for the 111S. And the B18 comes from the Integra/RSX, the Preludes had a 2.3L I4.

I never wanted the elise for the engine anyway. I wanted it for the chassis. Engines come and go. It would be easy enough to transplant a Nissan SR20DET or RB25DET into the Elise. Lots of power potential in those motors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.